• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L NA vs. Turbo Differences

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, thats cool, ive never seen a turo or supercharged carb'd motor ijust know the limits the carb seals and such can handle

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well with the draw through setup, the carb doesn't see boost so the seals aren't really under any pressure. But I heard the fuel running through the turbo eats turbos pretty quick, probably the reason nobody uses them much anymore. And I believe the draw through 2.3's had the turbo made into the intake manifold.

ricardo93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a diagram like that of how a supercharged carbureted motor looks?

LSX_Marshall

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well the old style blowers and screw type supercharger were almost all draw through before efi came along. Doubt anyone ever made a draw through centrifugal supercharger, couldn't find one anyways.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Scotts90ranger can help you with informantion concerning turbos and turboing the 2.3
I don't know much if anything about carbureted engines unless they're single cylinder :), I'm with the others, hard to tell unless you pull the head, a boreoscope might help but probably still hard to tell

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well with the draw through setup, the carb doesn't see boost so the seals aren't really under any pressure. But I heard the fuel running through the turbo eats turbos pretty quick, probably the reason nobody uses them much anymore. And I believe the draw through 2.3's had the turbo made into the intake manifold.

With a draw through carb like the old 2.3 turbo setup the turbo has to have a carbon seal on the intake side of the turbo for a positive seal since a draw through turbo sees intake vacuum. The carbon seals prevent the engine from sucking in oil on the intake, and prevents gasoline from getting into the bearings of the turbo. Carbon seals also have more drag which also makes the turbo spool up slightly slower than the regular "piston ring" type seals used in turbos for diesels, and blow through setups. The "piston ring" type seals do not like intake vacuum, and gas which will wipe out a turbo after a while. The real reasons the draw through 2.3 setup wasn't popular mainly because it was low boost 5-6 psi, the added price, and mechanics were afraid of them. Just like the old turbo Covairs in the 60's, auto mechanics didn't know much about turbos, and when one brought in that didn't run quite right they blamed it on the turbo, and convinced the owners that they should be removed (kind of like now if you were to take a truck with a points distributor, and carb to a dealership most mechanics wouldn't know the first thing to do since they couldn't plug a scan tool to it first).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals