• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3l Lima turbo kits

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have a good link for a usable turbo kit. All the ones I've found are from very old outdated posts and no longer work. Doesn't have to have the pistons and rods, but everything else would be awesome, or as close to everything. I have a 96 model so, if I'm understanding correctly, I need to rebuild the whole bottom end with a better crank, forged pistons, rods, and camshaft, Or just pull a bottom from a 93 or older.

Not looking to go too crazy, 7 psi max.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
That engine is so old now, I doubt you will find any "kits". You will have to find a regular 2.3 and build it yourself.

Here's a short block if you have the money to buy it. https://esslingeracing.com/ford-2-valve-4-cyl-engines-parts/2-3l-sohc-lima-engines-parts/bottom-end-assemblies-components-1/assembled-shortblocks-6
Boo well thats unfortunate. Yeah id love that but that would take over 4 years of saving to come up with. I dont make that much money lol. Well I guess piece by piece it is than. Thank you franklin.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just watch autotraders and craigslist for 2.3l turbo vehicles, there are many ranger and mustang conversions out there, along with other models
The 2.3l Lima was a popular engine with "hotrodders", it was made from 1974 to 1997
And its often less expensive to buy an already done conversion than to do it yourself

Bodies/frames rust, fenders get bent, you just want the engine and maybe transmission, so keep an eye out

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
That engine is so old now, I doubt you will find any "kits". You will have to find a regular 2.3 and build it yourself.

Here's a short block if you have the money to buy it. https://esslingeracing.com/ford-2-valve-4-cyl-engines-parts/2-3l-sohc-lima-engines-parts/bottom-end-assemblies-components-1/assembled-shortblocks-6
You can buy a NEW turbo on Amazon for $120.00 and a steel header to mount the turbo for another $100-$160. An oil line kit $40.00, & other stuff too. You can even stay with your cast pistons if you're a smart driver and keep boost press. down to manageable...under or at 12psi. use an intercooler on top of the engine and cut/press some louvers in your hood. You don't even need fancy, costly electronic engine controls if you're careful. Turbos have been in diesels and gas engines way before electronic ign. & EFI. There's more, just keep reading everything you can. FYI, GM used CAST pistons in their Buick Turbo Regals. Read Corky Bell books on turbos. They will help.

Juan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a question what is the biggest and easiest intercooler to fit in a 97? I can cut and modify just curious as to what someone else has done

waterran

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'92
Make / Model
R10
Transmission
Automatic
If you stay near 7 lbs., the top mounted style 'cooler, as FORD used will be ideal. As previously mentioned, just louver the hood. Keep the intake air short and cool and this will help underhood temps will stay lower also. A VW/AUDI 'cooler as shown may work for you. You can find them on ebay for under $100.00 new. It's made (marketed) by CSF. Don't forget that the FORD intercooler was sized for ALL around driving @ 220HP. That small cooler alone added approx. 30HP. Do NOT overcool your engine. You will not get the power you desire. Also, a 1997 model eliminated the ICM. You can wire the COP ignition right from the PCM wiring. Consider using the Turbo injectors and VAM. The turbo and 8 plug Ranger PCM pinouts are on this website, I believe: Dave's 2.3 Turbo Swap page. Just Do It!

Attachments

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Cast pistons are the only severely weak link in a n/a 2.3 or 2.5. I ran stock rods and cranks in all 3 turbo 2.3/2.5L engines I built, with TRW or Wiseco forged pistons. I kept the boost below 15 psi. and static compression as low as I could get it.

I preferred to run aftermarket injection for the ease in tuning and the ability to run modern high impedance injectors. Stock Garrett T3 turbos are getting scarce, but there are huge options for turbos these days.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals