• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L EFI power (The naturally aspirated way)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I think you've presented another math problem. If you could match the air flow to the injectors or the injectors to the available air flow, you can maximize power. If not matching the injectors, adjusting injector pulse length or fuel pressure could be an option.
If you are just a little bit oversize and still have the closed loop fuel system in place (oxygen sensor/s) they will trim the fuel appropriately and you will just end up with more fuel at the top end where it would possibly need it once it goes into open loop fuel control...

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
On our 98 2.5 race truck,we ran a switch to turn the alt.on and off.We would run it getting lined up and under cautions then turn it off when we went green.If you were to take your motor and put it on a dyno,you would see that on top end(5800-6300 rpms)you would see that the stock gray injectors lose their effectiveness and the motor does not get enough fuel using the stock pump.I will agree that removing the regulator helped on pressure but when we started using a 70lb pump we were able to keep enough pressure to the injectors.Go to RCI injectors or another site that deals with FI and read up on their research.Granted a lot of our time and effort getting our 2.3 and 2.5,s to get some power are not feasible for the street as we are looking for power up beyond 6300 rpms but some would be alright.Taking 60 off the head would be alright for the street,a lot of the guys will take 150 off and even up to the intake bolts(almost a 1/4 of a inch)My 2 cents

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
I have two vehicles with .150" off the heads on the street. It works but requires 91 octane at a minimum.

6ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Im trying to keep the 87 octane fuel and still make power..lol

Last edited:

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
One is an 89 8 plug head, the other is a mid 80's closed chamber that had slight modification the the chamber around the valve to promote good flow. That one also has a .027" MLS head gasket and is over 11:1 compression ratio.

6ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
One is an 89 8 plug head, the other is a mid 80's closed chamber that had slight modification the the chamber around the valve to promote good flow. That one also has a .027" MLS head gasket and is over 11:1 compression ratio.

Ok...The 11.1 motor is the head you milled .150" ?

No piston to valve clearance issues? and it works on premium 91-93 octane fuel with the stock computer and cam?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
They both are shaved .150", I used a thin head gasket on the mustang to up the compression. And it is an interference motor now, but as long as its in proper time, the valves won't touch the piston.

6ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Some computer fun has presented me with a graph im hoping will be similar in real life with my 97 ranger 2.3L

Im not showing power and torque numbers as its not what im trying to show here..The change throughout the rpm range is the most important part of this.

Ive tried to simulate the stock 2.3L as close as possible using real word specs...This graph assumes no intake or exhaust restrictions as a free flowing exhaust and a free flow air intake system would deliver..No fuel starvation and proper timing is also figured in.

So heres the difference ive been able to make so far playing with an engine analyzer.

The dark blue and green lines represent the changes over stock

Last edited:

6ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Well, a project is no good without pics so here they are.

The stock rims and some bald tires are in the bed..The previous owner lived out in the sticks and had an uphill gravel road he had to get up with the truck so he put some cheap steel wheels and some off road tires on the back..lol...I do have the chrome wheel caps to go with the back wheels.

Has a nice diamond plate tool box in the back as well...The motor is nasty as it has an overheating issue and got rusty water sprayed all over everything.

Its getting a new radiator, cap and thermostat as ive already concluded the head gasket and water pump are fine.

The interior will clean up very nicely and the paints not perfect but its not a rust bucket and justs need a good detail to make it look pretty good....The pics show the truck as blue on my phone but it is the 97 ford green color.

I think I did well for $750.00 cash. 132k miles...Cold a/c and good heat....factory cd player...Just wish it came with the factory tach...Drove it home with no tag for about 6 miles.

will be taking care of the needs before I work on the WANTS.

Getting 4 new tires, radiator,cap,thermostat and a fresh tune up/oil change..a new oxygen sensor.. a new accessory belt and a new set of wiper blades then going to finish detailing it...Will post more pics when done.

Then comes the fun stuff...the air intake work and a thrush turbo muffler will be first.

Also plan to get an instrument panel with the factory tach and upgrade the sound system a bit.

Last edited:

Meangreenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I contacted asp racing to see if they can make an underdrive pulley.

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Klaatu Barada Nikto! [Thread Necro]

5.) Fuel Injectors: Another stock item that will supply you with enough fuel in your stock naturally aspirated motor...Your fuel pressure should be around 40psi which is the pressure most injectors are rated at..The 14lb injectors can supply more fuel to make quite a bit more power if needed with a simple fuel pressure regulator..But we don't need it to make the power were looking for out of the stock motor..Again don't waste your money thinking you need 19lb injectors for the naturally aspirated motor..19lb injectors can support about 275HP....Will your naturally aspirated mild street motor make that kind of power?..i didn't think so..I will be leaving my stock injectors alone.
19's support about 275HP in a V8 @ the crank @ 43.5psi fuel.
We have half as many injectors, and lower fuel pressure (~39) [Edit: EEC-IV instances] so:
14lb/hr make up to 86cshp/73rwhp (gas) - 66cshp/56rwhp on E85
17lb/hr make up to 126cshp/107rwhp (gas) - 80cshp/68rwhp on E85
19lb/hr make up to 139cshp/118rwhp (gas) - 90cshp/77rwhp on E85
24lb/hr make up to 147cshp/125rwhp (gas) - 113cshp/96rwhp on E85
30lb/hr make up to 184cshp/156rwhp (gas) - 142cshp/121rwhp on E85

My 1989 Mustang 2.3L A4LD bone stock puts 70HP to the ground, so I'm already at the limits of the stock injectors.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals