• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2.3l DOHC fuel mileage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
2.5l mt 2wd
Transmission
Manual
are there any major differences between 2001-2011 2.3l 2wd, mt rangers that would cause mpg to vary between them?

extra question, are there any model years known to be more reliable than other model years? really only wondering about 2.3l/2wd/mt

another question. if i find an automatic ranger with a busted transmission, would it be easy to swap in a manual transmission?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the 01-2 had the intake flappers and heated thermostats. both are troublesome.

Danno1985

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
I'm on my 2nd 2.3 Duratec Ranger, the first was a 2010 5-speed, current one is a 2011 4-speed auto. I was able to eek out a little more with the manual, but even with the auto my '11 averages around 26-7.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm on my 2nd 2.3 Duratec Ranger, the first was a 2010 5-speed, current one is a 2011 4-speed auto. I was able to eek out a little more with the manual, but even with the auto my '11 averages around 26-7.
Maybe the difference between the mpg is the transmission efficiency loses from the torque converter with the automatic and maybe it's due to the gearing differences between a four speed and a five speed. Anyway, I also eek out 29 mpg with the manual. 26-27 doesn't seem like a big loss for the convenience of an automatic. Both are much better mpg than earlier 4 cyl engines and the six cylinder.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The biggest difference maker in Duratec fuel economy is not based on the year, but on the transmission selected. My 01 Duratec/5 spd truck would get 30mpg in the summer and 28-ish in the winter. Most auto equipped trucks seem to max out in the mid 20s. Lower if you find an extended cab/auto combo due to the added weight.

All Duratec/auto trans trucks supposedly came with 4.10 rear gears while the manuals came with 3.73s. So even if you swap from auto to manual, you'd be spinning more rpms at highway speeds and getting worse fuel economy than a truck that was originally a manual equipped truck. Or you just add a rear axle swap to the list of hardware needed.

Swaps can be done, but you've already gotten decent advice on that in another thread. To make the auto to manual swap the easiest, you'd need to start with both trucks being 01-03 to avoid the digital gauge cluster that was included in 04+ trucks. From there, you'll need the transmission, pedals, PCM with PATS removed or with matched ignition key, shifter and driveshaft.
You have the option of switching out the gauge cluster to one with a tach if you want (it would need to be from an 03 or older truck (any engine type is fine).
The whole swap is much easier if you have a clutch pedal position sensor included in your current dash harness. I know that Ford often included that sensor in most dash harnesses and would simply cap them off if not in use. But... my Auto equipped truck did not have that sensor like so many people said it should, and I had to swap out the entire dash harness.

If you can't find an 01-03 to make swapping simple, and you're stuck with an 04+ truck then you'd need all of that same stuff, plus the gauge cluster, key, and I think the GEM module too. They must be paired together.

Really, it's probably better to just wait for a manual trans truck than trying to deal with swapping from a single donor or worse yet swapping in individual parts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals