• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3L 1BBL Carb Options

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I have a 1983 2wd MT with 2.3L engine. The throttle shaft has a lot of play in my YFA feedback carb. Ideally, I'd like to find a non-feedback version of what I have that will bolt to my intake. I don't need performance and I'm not keen on finding a different intake to use and going through all of that. Where I live, there aren't any U-pull type yards, and nobody has anything older than the 90s it seems. I found some references to a non-feedback Carter carb for the 2.0L engine; would this be essentially the same thing as mine? Worst case, I guess I could just get another feedback carb and leave the solenoid unplugged. The one I have ran that way since I got it, around 4 years, and who knows how long before that.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I know on a 2.8 switching to a non feedback carb requires a change to duraspark ignition as well. Id imagine the 2.3 is the same way.

You could try ebay or the like, lots of pintos had the 2.3 and were non feedback. Just type in "pinto 2.3 carb" youll pry find something.

But do your research, one of the 4 banger guys could help here more then i can.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I did a little Googling and it appears that Pintos were commonly equipped with 2bbl carbs. I'm not 100% sure but I think they mount differently.

I'm thinking you may have better luck looking for a carb that came off an inline 6 engine - like a 200/240/300 from a late 70's Maverick, Granada, or pickup... my '80 F100 had a YFA 1bbl carb on it. That's if you can find something in the junkyard, maybe one of those smaller engines like the 200 would be a better donor.

I see that RockAuto has reman non feedback carbs available for your truck too, that could potentially be an option.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
The ones on Rockauto are for Autos, not sure what changes there... I found a ton of carbs for the 300. Would that work? Is it just jets that are different? My little 4 cylinder is half the displacement.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I thought the ignition changes are from going to a TFI to Duraspark system. Mine does have the MCU thing on the passenger fender. I'm not sure what, if anything, it's doing. Does anyone know how the MCU, Duraspark, and feedback carb interact?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
The ones on Rockauto are for Autos, not sure what changes there... I found a ton of carbs for the 300. Would that work? Is it just jets that are different? My little 4 cylinder is half the displacement.
It would work if you could jet it down.

@scotts90ranger is pretty good with the 2.3, he might be able to help you out with ignition.

Do you have the big square ignition module then? Not the little grey one on the distributor?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I can't imagine that a carb for an automatic is that much different. Maybe a little faster idle speed pre-set at the factory and an arm for the kickdown? I don't have a clue why it wouldn't work.

I'd also think that a 300ci carb would be jetted too big. I'm not familiar enough with those to say if it'd work well or not - I suspect one from a 200ci inline 6 would be better, since it's only 23ci larger than your 2.3.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
On the V8s the only difference between the auto/manual carbs is the kickdown lever. If you have a manual you just wont hook it up.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Mine has the Duraspark ignition. I think it's just because it is one of the early built ones. I read that the auto carbs sometimes are jetted a little bit richer sometimes. It said using an auto carb with MT was ok, while the other way around wasn't always ok. Also mentioned were the linkages for kickdown. I should be able to just use the jets from my old carb, or replace them with the same number jets. If they are indeed different. Are the needles different between models? I know there are tons of needles for snowmobiles, bikes, etc. and that's what I have carb experience with. Not sure if those types of things are model specific with cars or trucks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Dustin, although I do know a fair amount about the 2.3L's I know jack about carbureted setups :). There's two carbed Ford engines on my property, neither I've screwed with or even tried to start... The 302 based air compressor does have a duraspark box on it though...

I'm with the consensus, run a carb for an auto if they are available. The only engine difference between stick and auto 2.3L's over the years that I know of is the auto's didn't have EGR at one point and on the turbo engines they had a slightly smaller turbo to try to save the transmission from what everyone says...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Dustin, although I do know a fair amount about the 2.3L's I know jack about carbureted setups :). There's two carbed Ford engines on my property, neither I've screwed with or even tried to start... The 302 based air compressor does have a duraspark box on it though...

I'm with the consensus, run a carb for an auto if they are available. The only engine difference between stick and auto 2.3L's over the years that I know of is the auto's didn't have EGR at one point and on the turbo engines they had a slightly smaller turbo to try to save the transmission from what everyone says...
Lmao alright. You are normally the 1st guy i think of when it comes to 2.3's.

OP, just run the auto trans carb. Itll be eaiser then buying a used carb off a 300 (which, keep in mind 84+ 300s were feedback too), that will need rebuilt/rejetted.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Seems the consensus is use the auto carb. I'm having some other engine issues so I'll wait until I can do a compression test and check it on the scope before buying the carb. If the motor's toast no sense buying a carb. Patience is not something I do well...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Before changing anything on the new carb, drive it for a while. Bigger carbs need bigger jets to offset the additional airflow, you may not have to change them. The enrichment rod is adjustable, too. If it seems to bog on accell, try either tightening or loosening the adjustment 1/2 turn or so to figure out which way it needs. Remove the top of the carb and you can see the enrichment rod adjustment. If you can get a YF off a 200 or 250 Granada it may be closer to correct right out of the box but the 250 went out of production in 1980 and the 200 died in 83.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals