• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3l 1995 automatic heating problem

petera

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt single cab
Transmission
Automatic
had heat issue running at about 95 degrees (heat gun)found thermostat locked open damaged gasket--replaced housing gasket and thermostat with morad parts --still themp only reached 120--after scanning y-tube someone stated if thermostat and gasket don't fit snug water escapes through and still won't build temp-replacing with oe motorcraft housing and stant 45829 when they arrive will let know this is 1995 2.3l automatic--don't appear to be oe thermostats avail

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just put a motorcraft thermostat in my '97 2 years ago so not sure on that, but even in the stock housing there's some room for coolant to pass through (at least in my 190k mile abused unit...). It's kinda how they are, I've been on here for a LONG time and almost everyone complains about the temperature reading low (the 2.3L's that is), I've never had a heat output issue on my '90 but a lot has changed in the heater setup since then... on my '97 I've been blocking half the radiator to get usable heat and to help the fuel economy in the winter and our winters aren't near as harsh as CT winters... this morning it was under freezing by a little bit and the temp gauge barely moved after over 10 miles, and that's with half the radiator blocked with cardboard... it's kinda dumb that just some leaking around the thermostat and the heater core is enough to cool these things really...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you have a heat gun check the heater hose and upper rad hose
Heater hose should warm up much faster as it always has flow from water pump

Upper rad hose only has flow thru thermostat when its open, even if its leaking a bit heater hoses should get up past 160degF while upper rad hose stays below 100degF

People often put cardboard in front of radiator in winter months to keep the 2.3ls running warmer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals