• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 to 3.0 engine swap

R96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi all , need some help. swapping out my 96 2.3 for a 3k miles 3.0 out of a wrecked 97.
So bought the engine mounts rt side lines up left side is 2 inches off .
wondering is there a different bracket for the engine to mount?
thx

Rick

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Gotta ask.. why are you going through all the pain and suffering of an engine swap to gain .7 liters of displacement? If you have the time and funds to let the truck sit go for the v8 conversion. I replaced the 3.0 block in my 3.0 with another 3.0 simply because of all the work that would be require to switch to a different displacement engine. If you are going to do a different engine swap, make it meaningful.

A few things to think about...

Electrical connection compatibility
Transmission compatibility
ECU compatibility
Bolting points (As you are finding out right now)
Wiring issues

I have not researched specifically what's required to do the swap you are doing but I imagine you'll basically need an entire donor truck to swap everything in.

R96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Engine is in, but to answer your question. I was able to buy a wrecked truck with a 3k mile crate engine. I have already sold enough parts from it to almost cover the cost. And I still have many parts left. Electrical connections are the same , must use the 3.0 engine wiring harness and computer both of which I have.
My 2.3 was still a runner but needed an exhaust and other anslery parts were getting tired. This swap is more for the opportunity to get an almost knew engine , not for hp gain. So because I bought the whole truck i am able to sell parts and have all the parts I need to do the swap. with the added bonus of up grading to a v6.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Hi all , need some help. swapping out my 96 2.3 for a 3k miles 3.0 out of a wrecked 97.
So bought the engine mounts rt side lines up left side is 2 inches off .
wondering is there a different bracket for the engine to mount?
thx

Rick
this info refers to just the 3.0L V6

They list 2 different motor mounts for the 4WD but use the same motor mount for 2WD.

if you are swapping this in a 4x4 model you will need 2 different part number mounts.

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Engine is in, but to answer your question. I was able to buy a wrecked truck with a 3k mile crate engine. I have already sold enough parts from it to almost cover the cost. And I still have many parts left. Electrical connections are the same , must use the 3.0 engine wiring harness and computer both of which I have.
My 2.3 was still a runner but needed an exhaust and other anslery parts were getting tired. This swap is more for the opportunity to get an almost knew engine , not for hp gain. So because I bought the whole truck i am able to sell parts and have all the parts I need to do the swap. with the added bonus of up grading to a v6.
Fair enough. HP upgrade and coming out with an almost new motor and some cash sounds like a plan to me.

Btocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if you've gotten this taken care of yet, but the 3.0 liter drivers side motor mount requires a standoff bracket that the motor mount bolts to and then the bracket mounts where the mount normally would in the frame. (speaking from experience on an 01 ranger with a 2.3l to 3.0l swap. not sure if same for your year truck)

R96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got it taken care of.
But thank you for your reply.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals