• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 swap to a 2.3 ecoboost

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'm not sure if I even have it at this point. It's been two moves and at least a decade... I'll let you know if I find it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I missed the two linked PDF's at the end of that thread. That was just about the drivers existing though, not that they could be integrated directly with MS, right?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Pretty sure they could be. I have them earmarked.

If they run on canbus, and I could get a look at the coding and can commands, more than likely. Otherwise it's a matter of finding the right daughterboard to issue a command string to.

Megasquirts biggest drawback is clock speed on the old ones. The new ones fixed that.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Where does Ms stand on transmission control? It would be incredible if it could handle the ten speed auto.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Where does Ms stand on transmission control? It would be incredible if it could handle the ten speed auto.
Honestly have no idea on that one. Never really looked into the tcu side. I don't fully trust megasquirt, so I like having the clutch there on a manual to be able to disconnect the engine from the driveline in case it does something dumb.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That's fair. I generally prefer a manual too, but it would be great if we could go either direction with a swap rather than being pigeon holed into the manual.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Agreed. Not to completely derail this (I know zero about the EB), but is there a manual or 4x4 manual?

Or, a trans that would fit it without a custom adapter

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There's a manual in the Mustang. Getrag MT-82. No idea if there's a 4wd version though.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agreed. Not to completely derail this (I know zero about the EB), but is there a manual or 4x4 manual?

Or, a trans that would fit it without a custom adapter
Not sure specifically about the new Ranger 2.3, but all of the other 2.3Ecoboost engines share a trans bolt pattern with the older Duratec/MZR 4 cylinder engines that Ford and Mazda used in everything between about 2000-2012. RWD, manual trans options are Duratec Ranger 5 spd, NC Miata 6 spd, and Ecoboost Mustang 6 spd. None ever came with 4WD, but in theory you could frankenstein the front of a Duratec Ranger manual trans with the rear of a 4WD Ranger manual trans from a V6/4WD truck and end up with something that had the Ecoboost bolt pattern and a transfer case.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Good point - that's almost too obvious. I wonder how it would hold up...

Poorwhiteboy1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been watching the cars on CoPart. I plan to buy a whole car to do my swap. Should cure a lot of headaches that way. The 2.3 eco's are not what the rebuild market is after so they don't go for tons of money.
I have the eb engine with motor mounts the manual 6 speed tranny with cross member the ecu the wire harness the rear end and driveshaft from a 2017 mustang what mods do I need to do to allow drop in and also is it possible to use the oe shift lever

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I have the eb engine with motor mounts the manual 6 speed tranny with cross member the ecu the wire harness the rear end and driveshaft from a 2017 mustang what mods do I need to do to allow drop in and also is it possible to use the oe shift lever
For the honest answer, I have no clue. The one guy I asked about it said that the wire harness would need to be repined or replaced because of so many options and computers on the newer cars. Window, AC, navigation, radio, touch screen, alarm, fuel management, tire pressure ect.... He said it would be in constant alarm if left unattended. I am not opposed to spending 2k on a harness if it works. I only need to control engine and transmission. (auto) My swap is not going to be economical or anything along those lines. I want a quiet, 4cyl sleeper from hell. Tuned Eco 2.3 is almost 400hp and purrs like a kitten. In a generic single cab ranger set up to drag but maintain the generic street old man in a ranger look

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is no "drop in" with this swap. There's a single running example of a 4cyl ecoboost ranger. He started with the ideal swap chassis (an 01+ Duratec 2.3l/5spd) and he still had to chop up his firewall, cut out his heat/AC, ditch the power steering, buy the expensive Ford Racing controls pack and do a bunch of wiring. In an older truck like the 91 in your profile, you'd have at least that much to do, and probably more as its not even setup for OBDII. Plus you'd have to make engine mounts and nobody really knows how much clearance there is between the ecoboost oilpan and ibeam crossmember.

And getting it into the truck is the easy part. Then you either buy the expensive Ford Racing controls pack and get to wiring or if you're cheap and extremely knowledgable about CAN BUS networks you get to convince the CAN network that all of the different modules are there and happy. If neither of those is an option then you need literally everything electronic from the donor car. Just having the PCM isn't enough. We're talking entire wiring harness, gauge cluster, pedals, steering column, fuel system, and every module that controls things like lights and airbags to HVAC and stereo to tire pressure/stability control stuff.
Here's what a "drop in", turnkey kit for an ecoboost swap looks like:

That makes the Ford Racing Controls Pack seem worthwhile to me but maybe you're a better man than I am.

Oh, and the Mustang shifter is going to sit back quite a bit from the stock ranger shifter location. Things like T5 swaps moved the shifter back about a foot. I'm guessing it would be atleast that far with the Ecoboost trans from the current chassis cars.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals