• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Ranger... issue..?

Jerry0911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, I recently bought a 2011 ranger with a quirk. I was storing the truck for a friend and decided just to buy the thing because I didn't want it to sit any longer than it had. Its a Texas truck and I live in the salt belt, so a low mileage ranger with no rust was the closest ill ever get to a goldmine. 92k, 2.3L, 5mt 2WD. After driving it for a few days I noticed that it intermittently seems sluggish. I know the 2.3 isn't a powerhouse but this thing feels like its dragging weight, but only sometimes. I can feel it "pop" into power sometimes, at random, and then it feels great until I shift out. Almost like it cant keep a consistent fuel map. It also cranks for longer than usual on occasion, and when I throw it in neutral while rolling and hit the brakes, idle will drop to 300 rpm and then surge back and forth between 300-1000. When sitting at a stoplight on the brakes, it idles perfectly ay 750. No trouble accelerating (except low power) and steady driving I have felt it miss once or twice just at random. The worst part of this is that it never throws a CEL. CEL does work, but it hasn't triggered it while driving. Any tips?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would suggest looking at the basics first.

Unsteady idle can be caused by a vacuum leak.

The rough starting and lack of power kinda sounds like fuel delivery issues. I would suggest testing fuel pressure before doing much else.

Jerry0911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest looking at the basics first.

Unsteady idle can be caused by a vacuum leak.

The rough starting and lack of power kinda sounds like fuel delivery issues. I would suggest testing fuel pressure before doing much else.
What would acceptable fuel pressure be in this instance?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Clean MAF sensor, once a year, its easy to do, once you have done it one time

The O2 sensor is the only sensor that has a time limit
It uses a chemical reaction to detect Oxygen in the exhaust, and the chemical gets used up
100k miles or 12 years, is when they should be changed

Yours are due, and new O2s pay for themselves over the next 100k miles or 12years in fuel savings

O2 data is how the computer sets the fuel map

1998-2011 Rangers used 55-65psi fuel pressure, there should be a test port on the engines fuel rail, its a schrader valve, like a tires air valve, works the same way
Running, idling, pressure should be between 55-65psi
Raise RPMs and hold them at 2,500(approx.), for at least a minute, if pressure is slowing dropping then fuel filter is dirty or fuel pump is weak
Shut off engine, pressure should hold above 25psi for MONTHS and MONTHS
If it slowly or quickly, drops to 0psi then fuel pump or regulator, in the gas tank, is leaking pressure

For now you can cycle key off and then on 3 times, this will restore lost pressure, then try to start engine

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What would acceptable fuel pressure be in this instance?
@RonD to the rescue... He has probably forgot more about these trucks then I could ever learn... he won't steer you wrong.

Jerry0911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Clean MAF sensor, once a year, its easy to do, once you have done it one time

The O2 sensor is the only sensor that has a time limit
It uses a chemical reaction to detect Oxygen in the exhaust, and the chemical gets used up
100k miles or 12 years, is when they should be changed

Yours are due, and new O2s pay for themselves over the next 100k miles or 12years in fuel savings

O2 data is how the computer sets the fuel map

1998-2011 Rangers used 55-65psi fuel pressure, there should be a test port on the engines fuel rail, its a schrader valve, like a tires air valve, works the same way
Running, idling, pressure should be between 55-65psi
Raise RPMs and hold them at 2,500(approx.), for at least a minute, if pressure is slowing dropping then fuel filter is dirty or fuel pump is weak
Shut off engine, pressure should hold above 25psi for MONTHS and MONTHS
If it slowly or quickly, drops to 0psi then fuel pump or regulator, in the gas tank, is leaking pressure

For now you can cycle key off and then on 3 times, this will restore lost pressure, then try to start engine
This is the kind of information I came here for, right on man thank you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals