• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 oil leak

cptnranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok here is the problem I hope I can get some help on. I have a 1988 ranger with a 1990 mustang 2.3 in it (converted to run carburetor). It runs very well and has been a fun ongoing project for me and my father in law. After we did the engine swap the engine began to leak oil. We recently replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket as well as the PCV valve, but the leak continues. The leak is not consistent, on a long trip I might have to replace a quart or it might not leak enough to notice. Leak is coming out of the back of the engine and dripping off the front of the transmission. If anyone has some advice or experience with this problem your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
could it be a tappet cover gasket leaking at rear and running down the back of engine. The 2.0 and 2.3 used cork gaskets which I am not a fan of. I pay more for the neoprene ones.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Have you looked at the oil pressure switch or sending unit on the drivers side of the engine. The temp sensor is low and the oil sender is high. If it is a switch, it may leak where the bakelite is swaged into the metal. The gasket may be bad as noted, so check the cam cover bolts for being tight as they will loosen over time. If you do take it apart to replace the cam gasket, make sure the cover gasket surface is flattened near the bolt holes. If they get over-tightened, the metal will deform, and will not seat the cover properly around the other gasket areas. The metal should be flat so even pressure is distributed rather than being concentrated under the bolt holes if the metal is bent. You can use a hammer and a supporting piece of 2X4 or other to flatten the metal if needed.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals