• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 not getting fire

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I checked my 86 ranger with 2.3l and its not getting any fire at any of the spark plugs.I tested at coil and its getting spark and one wire coming out of the distributor is getting fire but no spark getting to plugs i tested with a ignition firing indcator test light.any one know what could cause it not to get fire?

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Well i think its something in the distributor either the cap, ignition module,pickup,or bad coil.the wire on the distributor getting fire was the coil but none of the spark plug wires arent getting fire so something in the distributor is bad.Any else thinks this is right?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How old are the wires? I would say it is time for a good tuneup wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and PCV. If you dont know how old any of thes items are change them all now including the PCV. Then you can start troubleshooting but if your getting spark from the coil to the dizzy more than likely it is in the cap/rotor. If it was me I would do a complete tuneup tho and put dielectric grease on the wire ends and the center contact of the cap for the high voltage going thru these contact points. I prefer autolite single platinum or motorcraft if you can get them and some good low resistance wires your truck will love you for it. The PCV is probably most neglected item and they are cheap so I just have got in the habit on changing it with plugs to eliminate a variable.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
whats the pvc?i took the control module out today going to take it to autozone tomorrow to test it the control module am talking about is on the side of the distributor would would this have anything to do with firing?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes that is the ignition control module and it can give you a no spark condition but I thought you said it had spark at the coil. The best way to test the coil and module together is to put a spark plug in the coil wire going to the dizzy set it on a good ground and crank on it if you get a brite blue steady spark they are not keeping it from starting. did you give it a tune up or are you just guessing. Start with the coil if it is getting spark work your way to the plugs if you get no spark work your way back to the computer.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

read this all the way through a couple of times and follow the directions you can spend alot of money/time changing good parts if you dont have a volt ohm meter you will need one to diagnose it properly. The PCV is in the valve cover with a vacuum hose going to it it`s part of the tune up and has nothing to do with spark, but like I said if you dont know how old any of the tune up items are your gonna need them anyway once you get it running. The TFI or ignition module can be bench tested at the part store just make sure they test it three times so it gets up to operating temp.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes that is the ignition control module and it can give you a no spark condition but I thought you said it had spark at the coil. The best way to test the coil and module together is to put a spark plug in the coil wire going to the dizzy set it on a good ground and crank on it if you get a brite blue steady spark they are not keeping it from starting. did you give it a tune up or are you just guessing. Start with the coil if it is getting spark work your way to the plugs if you get no spark work your way back to the computer.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

read this all the way through a couple of times and follow the directions you can spend alot of money/time changing good parts if you dont have a volt ohm meter you will need one to diagnose it properly. The PCV is in the valve cover with a vacuum hose going to it it`s part of the tune up and has nothing to do with spark, but like I said if you dont know how old any of the tune up items are your gonna need them anyway once you get it running. The TFI or ignition module can be bench tested at the part store just make sure they test it three times so it gets up to operating temp.
All of the items are new.New distributor,spark plugs,new wires, new distributor cap,and Cole but i sprayed the control module accienditatly one day while cleaning my wheel thats why I though it could be that but am going to tes that first then do a tune up.everythings bout a year old

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull all the wire connectors apart and clean them with elect cleaner then use a little dielectric grease on all the connections. It is quite possible it is just a bad connection or ground wire. Take all the grounds apart and sand them metal to metal and look for any cracked or bare wires. The limk I gave you for the tech library will tell you how to troubleshoot the ignition follow it step by step and you will figure it out.

86ranger4x4owner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull all the wire connectors apart and clean them with elect cleaner then use a little dielectric grease on all the connections. It is quite possible it is just a bad connection or ground wire. Take all the grounds apart and sand them metal to metal and look for any cracked or bare wires. The limk I gave you for the tech library will tell you how to troubleshoot the ignition follow it step by step and you will figure it out.
I tested it again today.I got two wires coming out of distributor that have fire and two that dont.and i tested at the plugs and am not getting any fire out of any of the wires.so two wires are getting spark at the distributor and none at the plugs the wires are not getting much power i think.And i got the control module checked and its good.

Kyleyarby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 88 ranger with the 2.3 is getting spark at the coil but none to the plugs it has a new distributor and full time up I'm tired of throwing parts at it

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy and welcome to TRS~!

Two things you need to check. Is the timing belt moving when you crank the engine? If not, you have a broken timing belt. You should be able to see the belt move without removing the belt cover. Mark with white chalk or white out and watch for that to move.

If the timing belt is moving but no spark to plugs, remove the cap from the distributor and crank it. If the rotor is not turning you may have a broken part inside the engine like the gear that drives the distributor.

The timing belt is a fairly easy fix...the distributor gear needs a bit more work and possible engine removal.

Doughboy3690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have An 88 ranger 2.3 . Same problem. It looks like the problem is the pickups in the destructor. I've replaced timing belt , plugs, wires cap and button. Coil and module.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that pretty much leaves the TFI module on the side of the distributor or the pickup inside the distributor, both of which are known problem areas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals