• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 motor mounts interchange?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I have a 83 ranger was a 2.0,i swapped in a
2.3 and over winter im doing a 2.3 turbo swap.
Are there any upgraded motor mounts i.e. poly
Are all 2.3 motor mounts the same 83-92,are
certain year mounts better?

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stick with the motor mounts your 83 has, in 1988 they changed to a "hydraulic" motor mount which are junk, and more expensive. Don't know of any poly type mounts.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Here is a link to a guy that made a cheap set out of hockey pucks, my 83 mounts look different, from the pics it looks like I would possibly just need a cross member bracket from a later model ranger to make this work, can anyone comment on this?http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=5683

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would work, but I'd weld a nut underneath rather that a bolt, makes it easier pull, or put the engine back in (unless you like pulling the frame mounts also).

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You can also buy a pair of a-arm bushings, from a mustang or something, and make your own motor mounts. As far as I can tell there are no aftermarket motor mounts for any 2.3l... If there are, I have never seen them. I used ploy sway bar bushings for mounts once, they worked.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
ok my 83 mounts look different, so just to make things clear sometime after 83 they added a bracket or changed the engine crossmember to run a different mount for a 2.3?

so i can just bolt the mount to my 83 crossmember? or do i need a new crossmember?? or what, to make this work?

if i just have to add a bracket can these still be bought new?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
also does anyone know of a cheap upgrade/more solid 2wd 4 or 5 speed trans mount?

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
If I'm not mistaken, Noone ever took 2.3's serious.. The people making big hp in a 2.3 are using custom, or solid mounts.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i'm not mistaken, noone ever took 2.3's serious.. The people making big hp in a 2.3 are using custom, or solid mounts.

x2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 83-87 used the same motor mounts, in 88 they changed the motor mounts on the frame (the frame itself is still the same) along with the motor mounts.

Last edited:

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
x2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 83-87 used the same motor mounts, in 88 they changed the motor mounts on the frame (the frame itself is still the same) along with the motor mounts.
Thats what i was thinking after looking at a couple of pics, does anyone know of a place i can buy these 88-up frame brackets from?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
well guys i have not found the brackets i need for the newer 88-up mounts, which i want to run along with the hockey pucks ( again here is the link.... http://www.turborangerforums.com/showthread.php?t=5683 )

So for now im just going to go with the wedge style, well if u go to rockautos web site they offer different mounts for 83-84 2.3's vs 85-87 2.3's, the 85-87 are much cheaper and if they work i want to run those for the timing being untill i can find the newer engine brackets i need.
So does anyone know if the 85-87 wedge style brackets will work on my 83 before i try ordering a set.

TheeFinalGun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate this thread, I have an 85 ranger and can't get a new 2.3, so I'm stuck with a newer model 2.3 mounted on a Mazda trans (5 speed toyo) I have to knock out a spot for the fuel pump cause they changed the cast of the block but kept the location for the fuel pump available, just in case, I suppose. I really just need to know if I might place a newer 2.3 engine from a 92 and use the same motor mounts feom the 85......?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Should be able to reuse your motor mounts.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The motor mounts should bolt right up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals