• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 Lima Serpentine Belt Tensionor and A/C Belt Tensionor

vasivan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 Ranger 2.3l that has a squeeky tensionor belt. I would like to change both tensionor belts(Main and A/C). I cannot find any information on this but is there a different tensionor design than the pressed in design?
Currently what I have.

I've seen these designs:

Please let me know if you guys have experiance with this because I am lost.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Check the visuals on RockAuto. They listed your second item, a lone smooth faced pulley with bearing, to replace that on my 85. It would not work, as the factory part was a peened over(rivet) shoulder type that would require a machined shoulder bolt, and they didn't want it back without a fee. I told them it didn't fit, but they ...
Take a look at different model years. I did, and found a Delco tensioner that matched the FoMoCo part, but was listed as applying to different model years.
If you remove and clean the factory part, you may find the part number stamped into the metal. I did, and searched for that part number(as I remember now). It was not listed as applicable, but it was bolted on at the factory, so I went for it, and it matched perfectly. I thought it was a 90-ish model year, but it's been a while ago.
tom

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Would this do the job?

Sure looks similar...
tom

It is listed under the 'idler pulley' section... not the tensioner... guess their catalogs are as bad as some
other auto parts stores.
tom

vasivan89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i like your description on the left there. I think i may be able to say the same about the location....

I believe that tensionor should do the job for the serpentine belt. but i cannot find the one for the A/C tensionor. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a different pulley design that would accept the ones found at Advance, Autozone etc? I was trying not to spend ~$40 per tensionor pulley but....

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Take the A/C tensioner off, clean off all the grease and dirt buildup. Look for a FoMoCo part number stamped into the metal. Search for that number on the web.
Got a picture of the A/C tensioner?
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals