• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was the early 2.0 Pinto, Capri engine that had the three journals. The Ranger 2.0 round port head was only available from 1983-88. All the 2.3's, 2.5's, and the Ranger 2.0's have four journal cams.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That sounds great to me. I'll run it with the EFI intake and see what my MPG is (it'll be awhile). I'll go ahead and get that adapter you mentioned. I could have 4 of them for what Esslinger charged for the one I got! (Wish you'd have posted earlier :) )

EDIT- I just went back and looked at that adapter. It says it's for the Rochester 2 GC. So, that means it has the same base as the Holley 350, right?

The adapter bolts to the intake using the Rochester 2GC bolt pattern, the same adapter can be used to bolt a Rochester 2GC to a intake with a Holley 2bbl bolt pattern (it can go both ways).

I don't remember the exact mileage I got with the EFI intake to carb adapter (it ran like crap below 3000 rpm's no matter how I tuned the carb). I do know that the mileage wasn't as good as the current OMC intake I'm running now.

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It was the early 2.0 Pinto, Capri engine that had the three journals. The Ranger 2.0 round port head was only available from 1983-88. All the 2.3's, 2.5's, and the Ranger 2.0's have four journal cams.
Thank you Kenneth!

I counted 4 journals on all the heads in the picture I sent him, along with my Ranger round port so I'm not sure what this guys deal is. I'm going to contact him tomorrow and go from there I guess.

I'll keep updated.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe he has never seen a Ranger round port head before would be my guess.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't remember the exact mileage I got with the EFI intake to carb adapter (it ran like crap below 3000 rpm's no matter how I tuned the carb). I do know that the mileage wasn't as good as the current OMC intake I'm running now.
Then my only hope that mine will run good in the lower rpm's is the Esslinger adapter is different. I'll keep the OMC just in case. Tried to order the adapter you mentioned but my paypal wouldn't work last night :icon_confused:
I'll try again today- I have a feeling I'll need it.

Drew- not that it'll help you anytime soon but there's a HUGE junk yard about 70 miles north of me. I'm just dying to spend a day in it - soon!
In all the reading i've been doing lately, I did read recently about the 3 -journal heads.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then my only hope that mine will run good in the lower rpm's is the Esslinger adapter is different. I'll keep the OMC just in case. Tried to order the adapter you mentioned but my paypal wouldn't work last night :icon_confused:

I was running the Esslinger EFI to carb adapter. I sold the lower EFI manifold with the adapter I had to a circle track racer, it worked good for him as he kept the engine around 7800 rpm's most of the time.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Damn Kenneth! I need some good news!
JK_ I need to know theses things, so I won't play around too long trying to fix the un-fixable! thanks!

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

Drew- not that it'll help you anytime soon but there's a HUGE junk yard about 70 miles north of me. I'm just dying to spend a day in it - soon!
In all the reading i've been doing lately, I did read recently about the 3 -journal heads.
If it means anything, I vote for the OMC intake with your new Holley carb, and no, not just because you got the intake from me :D haha. It would be my second choice for my own setup if I wasn’t going with what I’ve decided.

Thank you for the offer to check out your local junk yard, but today I was able to talk to the right guy about the head, and got it all figured out. Someone was apparently confused about what head I was after. So anyways, I ended up being able to order the correct 4 journal, oval port head with roller cam I was after, so it should be on the way soon. :yahoo:

I also received my “Z” oval port intake manifold in the mail today, thought I would share some pictures…

Fresh out the box...

It's blue under there! Well, kinda of...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If it means anything, I vote for the OMC intake with your new Holley carb, and no, not just because you got the intake from me :D haha. It would be my second choice for my own setup if I wasn’t going with what I’ve decided.

Thank you for the offer to check out your local junk yard, but today I was able to talk to the right guy about the head, and got it all figured out. Someone was apparently confused about what head I was after. So anyways, I ended up being able to order the correct 4 journal, oval port head with roller cam I was after, so it should be on the way soon. :yahoo:

I also received my “Z” oval port intake manifold in the mail today, thought I would share some pictures…

Fresh out the box...

It's blue under there! Well, kinda of...

Well, except for the fact that it is oval port, it is identical to my current intake...mine ends with a -BA...not sure what that means exactly but it looks the same...

I have the 5200 Motorcraft carb on mine with an adapter and spacer...and, apparently, this was standard OEM stuff that works well...

What carb are you going to mount on it?

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
WI did order that adapter Kenneth put up from Summit Racing. So, I think I will run the OMC intake just from what you guys have said.
I got my carb today!
Today I've been cleaning out my shop in preparation for the new engine. I have the truck loaded down with old VW crap that's going to scrap. It'll be good to have a (comparatively) worry free engine.
I have a 30' X 50' shop. Half is devoted to working out. I teach a fitness class for my church.
The other half- CARS!!!!My other love!

Why do they call it a "z" manifold?

Last edited:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, except for the fact that it is oval port, it is identical to my current intake...mine ends with a -BA...not sure what that means exactly but it looks the same...

I have the 5200 Motorcraft carb on mine with an adapter and spacer...and, apparently, this was standard OEM stuff that works well...

What carb are you going to mount on it?
WI did order that adapter Kenneth put up from Summit Racing. So, I think I will run the OMC intake just from what you guys have said.
I got my carb today!
Today I've been cleaning out my shop in preparation for the new engine. I have the truck loaded down with old VW crap that's going to scrap. It'll be good to have a (comparatively) worry free engine.
I have a 30' X 50' shop. Half is devoted to working out. I teach a fitness class for my church.
The other half- CARS!!!!My other love!

Why do they call it a "z" manifold?

I plan on going with a Autolite 2100 carb. It will bolt right up to the manifold, they are simple, inexpensive, and have a phenomenal reputation.

Really, my “Z” port oval would be referred to as a D9 intake, and the one like Mark has, that is the same as mine, except D ports would be referred to as an E1 intake.

From what I have read, there are three choices for stock 2 barrel carb manifolds. The most desired, especially among the mini stock crowd is referred to as a “D4 intake”. The first four digits of the part is the firing order (1-3-4-2), the rest is the casting number. The D is for the decade of the '70s and the 4 means it was first released in 1974. It was used on 2.3's until the D9 was released in 79. Then the E1 came out in 1981, with D-shaped ports for the D-port head. The E1 and D9 have a “Z” pattern on the bottom of the plenum instead of the series of lines like in the D4 intake. The later plenums were smaller in volume as well, making the D4 intake the best stock carb manifold in most people’s opinions.

Here is a picture I found of a D4 intake compared to my D9…

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Interesting...mine has the E1ZE prefix...but it came from a 78 mustang...may have been transplanted because when I found it the carb was all shiny and new...like someone just plunked it on and then scrapped the car...

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Lots of good information there Drew. Thanks!

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Interesting...mine has the E1ZE prefix...but it came from a 78 mustang...may have been transplanted because when I found it the carb was all shiny and new...like someone just plunked it on and then scrapped the car...
Sounds like you lucked out! :icon_thumby:

Lots of good information there Drew. Thanks!
No problem, I’m glad to share information! Hopefully it will help others to come, and make decisions easier.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals