• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 intake manifold and carb options?

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, ex or not, I hate to hear of any small business closing.

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you are interested...It's a Rochester 2GC you can pm me I actually have the carb, and the OMC Cobra spark arrester air.cleaner..
Drew- I got the intake. Thanks buddy! Now to find the carb....
No problem man, I’m glad to help! :icon_thumby:

If you are interested in a direct bolt on carb for that intake, the one John has came off a running OMC engine, so it should be jetted correct and whatnot. If you wanted to, you could go that route...?

It may not be a bad idea, they are pretty simple to rebuild.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone actually run the Rochester 2gc with the OMC intake?
How does it perform out of the water (tongue in cheek)?
How is it on the lower rpm's?

The 32/36 is very close to fitting. Is there an adapter to make it fit the OMC?

I found an adapter for the Holley 350 to the EFI lower from Esslinger. But again, I wonder how a slow start would go?

John Smith

Reaction score
Something I had considered

When I intially got the OMC intake was a Holley/Weber 5200 (32/36) which I have one of. In making an adapter I was going to effectivley make a 1" high thick fabbed spacer. I actually have a 1" thick spacer for a 5200 and it seems to be recommended for a power increase. A 1" spacer/adapter basically (not prepared for the OMC), but if Were going to make an adapter It would be up to 1" thick..or more actually I think

In fact to use a 2GC I would make a 1" adapter to raise it up for flow

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys, I talked with Esslinger today. On their recommendation, I got the 1" spacer here- # E2740
http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog305/page17.pdf
I also bought a Holley 350, refurbished by Holley for $230 (good buy, I think). To go on the EFI intake.
So, I have an OMC intake (D-port) to sell. Drew has first right of refusal if he wants it back.
Other than that, I'll sell it on Ebay

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd be interested in the intake if I could afford to swap out the parts...but I think my intake will take a Holley 350 as a direct bolt on...and it comes with an adapter...

I'm sure it will be gone fast if Drew doesn't want it back...hopefully I can find one if I decide to swap out mine...

Anyway, looks like your build is coming together fast...hope you have plenty of pics...:icon_thumby:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The engine pieces are coming together -LOL!
A friend works at Frymaster and is making the "decklid". At least one thing will look professional :)
We still have the fab work in getting the engine mounted, running the water pipes and many other little things I probably haven't thought of. I did remember I need a water temp. gauge now. I'll have it mounted and wires ran before we get that far..

If Drew doesn't want the OMC intake back, I can hold it for you for a while if you want it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks...might be quite a while before I have any disposable cash...but, who knows...lol

John Smith

Reaction score
about the OMC manifold

I finally decided to take my OMC / Rochester carb number to my parts guy and realized it actually is a 2GE, the "E" being for an electric choke version. This carb #17086107 actually belongs to correctly to a marine application for a Cobra "140" inboard/outboard motor. Since I have the manifold..I think I will kit in time and mount it all up for an auto application on this .040 motor I have built. Not being a GM guy for many years..I've been outa touch with the Rochester stuff, but they have a long automotive history..we'll maybe see how it comes together... At least this carb is correctly sized for a 140 cu motor..something which you can only guess about with some other options.

For any of you who would like to run this carb on your "air-sled" in a marine application I still have the "spark-arrester" carb cover..(humor)

To those of you who rebuild your own carbs, may I recommend a guy you can order parts from and actually catch him on the phone once in a while...and parts are actually "made in the USA...when they can be still found..

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/product_p/4082.htm

Last edited:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys, I talked with Esslinger today. On their recommendation, I got the 1" spacer here- # E2740
http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog305/page17.pdf
I also bought a Holley 350, refurbished by Holley for $230 (good buy, I think). To go on the EFI intake.
So, I have an OMC intake (D-port) to sell. Drew has first right of refusal if he wants it back.
Other than that, I'll sell it on Ebay
I actually found an oval port “Z” type intake manifold that I bought, thank you though. Looking forward to watching your build, please keep us updated! :icon_thumby:

I finally decided to take my OMC / Rochester carb number to my parts guy and realized it actually is a 2GE, the "E" being for an electric choke version. This carb #17086107 actually belongs to correctly to a marine application for a Cobra "140" inboard/outboard motor. Since I have the manifold..I think I will kit in time and mount it all up for an auto application on this .040 motor I have built. Not being a GM guy for many years..I've been outa touch with the Rochester stuff, but they have a long automotive history..we'll maybe see how it comes together... At least this carb is correctly sized for a 140 cu motor..something which you can only guess about with some other options.

For any of you who would like to run this carb on your "air-sled" in a marine application I still have the "spark-arrester" carb cover..(humor)

To those of you who rebuild your own carbs, may I recommend a guy you can order parts from and actually catch him on the phone once in a while...and parts are actually "made in the USA...when they can be still found..

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/product_p/4082.htm
Good call John that should be sweet! I’m interested to see how it all works out. You shouldn’t have any problems with that 2GE… It is sort of weird that a Rochester carb came on a Ford engine…:icon_confused:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How's your gas mileage with this set-up? I assume you mean the same carb (350- 2bbl).
If so, that looks like something I could use on my other engine- the 2.0 out if the Ranger- and then, I'd have a complete spare.

Yep the OMC intake with a 350 Holley carb I get 22 mpg in the city, 26-27 mpg on the hwy.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds great to me. I'll run it with the EFI intake and see what my MPG is (it'll be awhile). I'll go ahead and get that adapter you mentioned. I could have 4 of them for what Esslinger charged for the one I got! (Wish you'd have posted earlier :) )

EDIT- I just went back and looked at that adapter. It says it's for the Rochester 2 GC. So, that means it has the same base as the Holley 350, right?

Last edited:

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Carb adapter (larger 2 barrel to smaller 2 barrel):
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2086/?rtype=10
I just paid $60 for that same damn adapter, except it's made by Holley. I was even on Summit's site trying to find a spacer and that didn't show up!!!! WTF
I posted a link to that adapter a few weeks back…

Sorry man that sucks, looks like you fell victim to the same thing as bigpanda in that situation…:no2:

A little update on my project…

I bought an oval port “Z” type intake manifold that I plan on using…

My next step was finding an oval port cylinder head. I found a guy that said he can get whatever one I needed to, just to take a picture of the intake I am looking for and email it to him. He also said that he would install a roller cam setup as well. I send him an email stating that I was looking for an oval port 2.3 (‘74-‘80), and wanted to clarify that it would come with the roller cam setup as he originally stated. I sent him the picture of the oval port cylinder head that Kenneth posted earlier in this thread. He wrote me back and said “I do not have any three journals, haven’t seen any for years”.

My first question is, aren’t they all 4 journals? :icon_confused:

My second is, does anyone know of anywhere I can get the oval port head I am looking for? I can only seem to find the D port heads available.

If I can’t get a oval port head, my options will be a D port cylinder head, or rebuilding my Ranger round port.:damnit1:

Either way it would mean if I went with the D port head, I would need to get another D port intake, and the oval port “Z” intake would be useless to me…

OR :dntknw:

I would have to rebuild my round port cylinder head, and then would need to find a intake manifold like the 2.0 2-barrel, and would have to start looking into carburetor options again…

:annoyed:

I would much rather just be able to find an oval port head, I really appreciate any help guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals