• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Egr?.........

Blueovalboy89

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I need info on the 2.3L EGR. (Exaust Gas Regulator/Recirclulator?) What exactly is its purpose? Where is it located? What does it look like? Do i need it to function or is it just for emissions? If so can i take it off and how? Anything will help.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need info on the 2.3L EGR. (Exaust Gas Regulator/Recirclulator?) What exactly is its purpose? Where is it located? What does it look like? Do i need it to function or is it just for emissions? If so can i take it off and how? Anything will help.
Your EGR is located on the drivers side of your throttle body. There will be a vacuum tube and a wiring harness that plugs into it. K-N makes an EGR block off plate for it in the event you want to rid of it.. just remember if you have emissions testing in your area you will fail!

The EGR is meant to recirculate your exhaust from your manifold and run it back through the combustion chamber to reburn any unused fuel. If you look at the top of your manifold near the firewall you will see a pipe that's tapped off it feeding to the EGR. In short it gives you a cleaner exhaust. The EGR block off plate will keep that dirty air from entering thus only burn clean air coming through your air intake. Some people block it off when they run a cold air intake.

If the valve goes bad you will normally have a bad to moderate miss at idle and some bucking during acceleration

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
FYI if your truck is set up to utilize an EGR system, removing it will cause some problems... not to mention it's illegal.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
The EGR is meant to recirculate your exhaust from your manifold and run it back through the combustion chamber to reburn any unused fuel.
if you dont understand how a system functions for yourself, you really shouldnt mislead others by trying to explain it.

the EGR system has nothing to do with burning unburnt hydrocarbons...the converter will take care of that (and has been since the 1970's).

the EGR system is designed to reduce the production of a pollutant called nitrogen oxide (NOX), which only forms in combustion chambers over a certain temperature. the EGR system prevents their formation by lowering combustion chamber temperatures.

exhaust gases are inert, meaning they do not add any fuel or air to the combustion chambers, all they do is take up room. since they are cooler than the combusting a/f mixture, they provide a lower combustion chamber temperature.

i can hear it now: "but mr sludge, doesnt the exhaust gas taking up room mean i have less room for air and fuel, and thus, less power from my motor?" no. the lower combustion chamber temperatures mean that the ignition timing can be advanced further than on a non-EGR engine, thus making up for any power lost due to exhaust gas presence in the chambers.

furthermore, all EGR operation is shut off during wide-open throttle...meaning even if the EGR system did cost you power, it wouldnt effect peak power.

as was mentioned, your computer is programmed to account for the EGR systems presence (primarily in the form of advanced engine timing). disabling the EGR on an engine programmed to run with it will cause a number of drivability concerns including, but not limited to:

-knocking/detonation - this can be fatal for a motor, leading to broken pistons, rings, and connecting rod bearings.
-lower fuel economy.
-rough running during cruise speeds
-check engine light
-failed emissions testing
-decreased power output

as was also mentioned, removing the EGR system is highly illegal. in fact, its against FEDERAL law to tamper with or disable any factory equipped emissions devices, regardless of wether or not you have emissions testing and/or inspections in your area. if your within the borders of the united states, your in violation of the law and the fine is heafty.

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
as was also mentioned, removing the EGR system is highly illegal. in fact, its against FEDERAL law to tamper with or disable any factory equipped emissions devices, regardless of wether or not you have emissions testing and/or inspections in your area. if your within the borders of the united states, your in violation of the law and the fine is heafty.

Well holy shit the Dolly Llama is in the house! I also cut the tag off my mattress. And I sometimes don't look both ways while crossing. AND...... for those of us who have common knowledge, it does not preclude us from offering up any insight to any given question just because their may be a better more scientific explanation out there.. let alone having one delivered in such a condescending manner doesn't make you right righteous in anyway for anyone could look up an answer on the internet and copy/paste. But who am I to judge. I'm a newbie right. How dare I not explain things proportionate to your vass capacity of knowledge. What you gave wasn't even close to an average joe of an answer

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
well he is right, and i doubt he copy/pasted any of that. Wick's just answered that exact question so many time that he probably could type out that conclusion with eyes closed. Personally, i just like to keep it simple. :D

Blueovalboy89

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
FYI if your truck is set up to utilize an EGR system, removing it will cause some problems... not to mention it's illegal.
Maybe in so-cal, but down here a cop is more likely to say "nice truck man" and give me a warning than tell me pop the hood.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Well holy shit the Dolly Llama is in the house! I also cut the tag off my mattress
ya, thats a useful contribution to the forum.

my answer may have been more involved than yours was, but more importantly, it was also correct, whaereas yours was not. if theres any part that was over anyones head i am more than willing to go into further detail. just let me know.

blueovalboy...as i said, tampering with emissions equipment is illegal in all 50 states, regardless of if you have emisions testing or not. you may or may not get caught, but why risk it when your likely to cause damage and drivability problems by removing the egr anyway?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I'm not saying a cop is gonna tell you to pop the hood, but since you're not worried about the legal part, you should refer to wicks post. Like I said and Wick explained, disabling your EGR system on a truck that has a computer that recognizes it being set up as such, will deffenitely cause some driveability problems. I don't know why you think disabling the system is a good idea, but unless you get a computer from a 1980's ranger you're gonna be really unhappy with the way your truck is gonna run with the system disabled.... do what you want, just think about it first :)

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wicked's explanation is the correct "theory of operation." But, does it actually work the way it is supposed to? Anytime you dump something foriegn into the intake, there will be an adverse effect somewhere.

While dumping burned exhaust gasses back into the intake may cool off the combustion chambers for less emmissions, it does effect combustion. An the theory of advancing timing to compensate leaves a lot to be desired. Timing advance to gain power is over-rated as there is not that much gain. Gasoline will only tolerate so much advance. Also, an internal combustion engine works of off expanding heat. If you lower the heat of combustion......................

EGR works at steady state conditions, like when the engine is cruising. At other speeds, such as in town, the EGR does little.

When I occasionally visit relatives that live over 300 miles from where I live, I disconnect the DPFE sensor. I get a CEL, but ignore it for the trip. The truck is a 1996 F150, 302 engine. By disconnecting the sensor, mileage increases by 2 mpg, from 17 to 19. I do not notice any power gain with the ass dyno. The miles driven are freeway miles, so I can set cruise, and forget it.

So, while the theory looks good, it doesn't always work as stated. Nothing is "definite.":)shady

Last edited:

Resurrection Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya, thats a useful contribution to the forum.

my answer may have been more involved than yours was, but more importantly, it was also correct, whaereas yours was not. if theres any part that was over anyones head i am more than willing to go into further detail. just let me know.

blueovalboy...as i said, tampering with emissions equipment is illegal in all 50 states, regardless of if you have emisions testing or not. you may or may not get caught, but why risk it when your likely to cause damage and drivability problems by removing the egr anyway?

OK. You have a point. And I think my comprehension of how you responded to my post may have been out of line. I'm not gonna second guess what I think I know before I respond to anything. I could after all, only go by what I was told and/or learned. Being that my said explanation is in fact wrong as it stands, I did not know this at the time. However, at the time I was offended how you corrected me. I can admit when I'm wrong. But anyone's reaction is predicated on exactly how that is addressed. In any event, you apparently know how to explain things in detail whether researched first or not. We all have our fields of expertise. Mine is apparently not in EGR dynamics!

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Wicked's explanation is the correct "theory of operation." But, does it actually work the way it is supposed to? Anytime you dump something foriegn into the intake, there will be an adverse effect somewhere.

While dumping burned exhaust gasses back into the intake may cool off the combustion chambers for less emmissions, it does effect combustion. An the theory of advancing timing to compensate leaves a lot to be desired. Timing advance to gain power is over-rated as there is not that much gain. Gasoline will only tolerate so much advance. Also, an internal combustion engine works of off expanding heat. If you lower the heat of combustion......................

EGR works at steady state conditions, like when the engine is cruising. At other speeds, such as in town, the EGR does little.

When I occasionally visit relatives that live over 300 miles from where I live, I disconnect the DPFE sensor. I get a CEL, but ignore it for the trip. The truck is a 1996 F150, 302 engine. By disconnecting the sensor, mileage increases by 2 mpg, from 17 to 19. I do not notice any power gain with the ass dyno. The miles driven are freeway miles, so I can set cruise, and forget it.

So, while the theory looks good, it doesn't always work as stated. Nothing is "definite.":)shady
unplugging the elctircal connector the DPFE dosen't disable the entire system does it?

jobar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Manual
if you dont understand how a system functions for yourself, you really shouldnt mislead others by trying to explain it.

the EGR system has nothing to do with burning unburnt hydrocarbons...the converter will take care of that (and has been since the 1970's).

the EGR system is designed to reduce the production of a pollutant called nitrogen oxide (NOX), which only forms in combustion chambers over a certain temperature. the EGR system prevents their formation by lowering combustion chamber temperatures.

exhaust gases are inert, meaning they do not add any fuel or air to the combustion chambers, all they do is take up room. since they are cooler than the combusting a/f mixture, they provide a lower combustion chamber temperature.

i can hear it now: "but mr sludge, doesnt the exhaust gas taking up room mean i have less room for air and fuel, and thus, less power from my motor?" no. the lower combustion chamber temperatures mean that the ignition timing can be advanced further than on a non-EGR engine, thus making up for any power lost due to exhaust gas presence in the chambers.

furthermore, all EGR operation is shut off during wide-open throttle...meaning even if the EGR system did cost you power, it wouldnt effect peak power.

as was mentioned, your computer is programmed to account for the EGR systems presence (primarily in the form of advanced engine timing). disabling the EGR on an engine programmed to run with it will cause a number of drivability concerns including, but not limited to:

-knocking/detonation - this can be fatal for a motor, leading to broken pistons, rings, and connecting rod bearings.
-lower fuel economy.
-rough running during cruise speeds
-check engine light
-failed emissions testing
-decreased power output

Wicked your skills overwhelm me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals