• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 ecoBoost 4x4 M/T Shopping list

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
No, no... they have to design a new engine separator plate and a special starter too, better make the trans a different length so we can fuss over different driveshafts... because Ford has to Ford.

Nissan builds manuals, Toyota builds manuals, if Jeep doesn't I bet they soon will... there must be something of a market there.
Jeep puts a manual in the Wrangler (JL). Haven't checked the Gladiator, but it would be absolutely nothing to put one in, since most likely it is the same drivetrain already in the Wrangler.

Funny you mention that... I tried doing that a couple times in my old '00 Silverado and it wouldn't start. There was a light on the dash, Theft maybe? That would blink and nothing else would happen. Could be tuned out of the ECM I'm sure... But the point is... The bastards even took away my push start. I'd be curious if other late model manual trans vehicles do that... That truck is 20 years old now!
A '18 Tacoma can be push-started... Not sure about others (a friend has a '19 Mustang with the manual, he won't even try because he thinks he'll damage something because it's leased lmfao).

Well I would say that 85-90% of drivers can't drive a manual or do not want to drive a manual, likely higher
Matches exactly with my earlier statement that 10-15% of people do want a manual. If car companies hadn't been restricting their availability, I bet it would've remained significantly higher, maybe around 20-30%.
Toyota charges more for an automatic truck than a manual, everything else being the same (about $1400 IIRC). I imagine it's similar with Nissan (PJ might be able to confirm).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jeep puts a manual in the Wrangler (JL). Haven't checked the Gladiator, but it would be absolutely nothing to put one in, since most likely it is the same drivetrain already in the Wrangler.
The only glitch is the Gladiator is pretty stout for payload/towing while the Wrangler is kind of a wimp. There might be durability concerns just dropping a JL trans in a Gladiator.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Part of the limitations for the Wrangle is their light weight and short wheel base. There is more to it than that but there is a point where their small size is a penalty instead of a benefit.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My FIL had a Wrangler, that extra long two door they used to make. Electronic clutch, you couldn’t push start it. He hated it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The only glitch is the Gladiator is pretty stout for payload/towing while the Wrangler is kind of a wimp. There might be durability concerns just dropping a JL trans in a Gladiator.
I went to the Jeep website. It infact does show a manual trans available for the Gladiator (auto is +$2000).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went to the Jeep website. It infact does show a manual trans available for the Gladiator (auto is +$2000).
Ok, I didn’t think they were available out of the gate, I may have my wires crossed with the diesel though.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like we bought the wrong trucks, and are on the wrong forum if we want manuals, :)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If I was going for the manual, I would have bought a different brand of truck. Unfortunately, circumstances in my case required I get something with a slush box. I almost went for a Tacoma then the new Ranger came out.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks like we bought the wrong trucks, and are on the wrong forum if we want manuals, :)
Nope, the three levers coming thru my floor are not for decoration.

TonkaMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Liter
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought this was a pre-2004 Ranger build?

2004 was when the instrument clusters changed to HEC and were married to the ECMs, also got SJB(smart junction box), which adds a few extra layers of electrical issues

I think the stand alone EFI would make more sense
The Mustang ECM will have the same issues of being married to the cluster, would need lobotomy plus make it a quadriplegic if it does have traction control software

1995-2003 Ranger has GEM module which is autonomous, and analog cluster
1995-2000 it did control 4WD but if you high jack the 4WD dash lights for the manual transfer case it won't care
2001-2003 GEM didn't do 4WD

If you get a 1997 or older manual transfer case you can use a gear driven VSS on it, for the 8,000ppm needed by speedo, and EFI system, 8,000ppm is the Ford standard pulse per mile
And it can be adjusted for tire size and axle ratios by swapping gears

EDIT:
And haven't looked it up but is the 2.3l Ecoboost a "drive by wire"?
No throttle cable, just adds some cost to a stand alone setup if it is
The 2.3L Ecoboost is a drive-by-wire engine. I'm planning my own potential Ecoboost swap for my 1997 in a few years. I'm working on the analog gauge cluster issue right. Designing a converter box that will plug into a Ford Performance wiring harness' OBDII port and make everything in the factory dash correct. Still in the process of reverse engineering and prototyping. I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer, so this is my hobby right now. After reading your post, I'm glad I have a 2WD manual truck. It'll make things easier.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The 2.3L Ecoboost is a drive-by-wire engine. I'm planning my own potential Ecoboost swap for my 1997 in a few years. I'm working on the analog gauge cluster issue right. Designing a converter box that will plug into a Ford Performance wiring harness' OBDII port and make everything in the factory dash correct. Still in the process of reverse engineering and prototyping. I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer, so this is my hobby right now. After reading your post, I'm glad I have a 2WD manual truck. It'll make things easier.

There's emulation and deletion for this for the last four years I know of. People just don't post here. Couple 2.7 in old cars down south.

Nice to know your working on gauge conversion. Quite a few setups i have seen using pi and fs...very impressive.

Using the dash from the donor doesn't bother me. Once my wife's kitchen is done my plan was going to a 2.0 or 2.3 in my bll ...

But the cyclones really have my attention.

Since I already have the stuff for the 4 cylinder transmission in both auto and manual for 4wd ....I have to say a 600 dollar junkyard escape or edge ecoboost engine will likely get the nod first. Then a cyclone after I figure out the 4 whiZZER.

Your hobby is awesome for those interested in this 👍. Thanks for posting.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Didn't even realize this thread was here....

Damn monkeys.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Bookmarked your site. Thank you! 👍🏿

bomonos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scout 800
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know what flywheel and clutch to run on the ecoboost/m5r1 combo? I have a 2.3 ecoboost out of a 2020 explorer and the trans and manual transfer case ready to go.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Anybody know what flywheel and clutch to run on the ecoboost/m5r1 combo? I have a 2.3 ecoboost out of a 2020 explorer and the trans and manual transfer case ready to go.

I have a question for you, how many bolts on the crankshaft?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals