• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 ecoBoost 4x4 M/T Shopping list

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
With the exception of the ability to push start
Funny you mention that... I tried doing that a couple times in my old '00 Silverado and it wouldn't start. There was a light on the dash, Theft maybe? That would blink and nothing else would happen. Could be tuned out of the ECM I'm sure... But the point is... The bastards even took away my push start. I'd be curious if other late model manual trans vehicles do that... That truck is 20 years old now!

And yes, I will never purposely buy a tow rig with a manual again. I'm spoiled hard on the auto in my super duty.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I've been an automatic guy for ever... even though I still have a manual Ranger in the driveway... and ALL the off road buggies I've built have all been manuals.

What is it that the manual transmission does better?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Well. I gave my reasons for wanting to swap out the transmissions. I think.

Either way, decision was made to start trading our Ford and GMC fleet trucks off in the spring for Nissan Frontiers with manual transmissions.

I know Ford reps will read TRS every now and then, so just in case they see this thread: if Ford offered a new manual trans Ranger, I'd happily replace the aging trucks in my fleet with new Rangers. Would have bought one for myself as well. Due to no manual option existing, all of our future feet trucks will be Nissan.

JIC I didn't state my reasons for asking about the swap, it's because I personally prefer them (see below), and because for fleet truck purposes I'd rather replace a manual transmission in a Frontier than in one of our Mercedes powered Sterlings/Internationals.

All of our heavy trucks in the fleet have six speed synchronized Eaton Fullers in them, and are $30,000+ each to replace (actual cost I witnessed when a former co-worker blew one years ago was $35k). For that price, I could buy an entire Frontier, let alone a trans.

As for my preference, my hatred of automatics (and GMC) happened on the same morning while on a icy mountain road in WV.

While climbing a lease road into a well site, the stabilitrack system kicked in on my 2013 GMC 2500HD. Due to (whatever), stabilitrack then proceeded to freak the **** out, the truck lost all traction, and then slid backwards down the road. Tried to compensate and get grip again, but thanks to an electronic throttle body, I was locked out of the throttle when stabilitrack lost its sh*t. The deckover I was towing slid off the side of the mountain, and took my pickup with it.

I wound up sitting perched on a boulder that my front axle lodged against for an hour and a half. Fortunately the client I was working for had a dozer out there, but still had to wait for it to pull me back off of the cliff.

Hour and a half in a snow storm teetering like a looney toon with my foot on the brake. Never again. No more autos.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Why not auto with the traction control tuned off?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
In the case of my GMC, stabilitrack was turned off when that happened. I hate to go all rusty on ya, but I don't trust the electronics.

Besides, can't learn how to shift on one, so I'd be forced to hire experienced truckers only.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Stabilitrak is annoying as hell when I'm pulling out onto the street and it loses traction. I might as well just let it idle into traffic. I think it is helpful for people who don't know how to drive... But for me and the rest of us, it's the worst.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Pretending I'm in a dirt track race car as I nail the gas and slide sideways through turns everytime it rains is all the fun I have in life...

Eff traction control. ABS, and full time all wheel drive. I took moms new edge out for a spin in the snow last night. I almost died because of all the damn nonsense that doesn't allow the driver to just drive the damn car. I kept trying to slide it and you never knew what the hell was gonna turn on, engage, disable, flash, blink, beep. You basically just close your eyes and hope the computer gets you through it.

Granted, driving it like a sain person it did amazing in the snow. But I know what my ranger is gonna do when I drive it, even when its slipping or spinning out of control I'm still in control. With the edge, your fate is in the hands of HAL 9000.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I would say that 85-90% of drivers can't drive a manual or do not want to drive a manual, likely higher

And every year there will be less and less Manual preference car buyers because "we" are dying off, lol
Taught my kids to drive manuals, none drive manuals now, lol
Will also teach the grand kids(God willing), but even my kids said WHY??? did we need to learn to drive a manual

Most car makers realize there is a shrinking market for manuals, started back in the 1990's when Automatics became "standard" and manual trans was a pay extra option, if even available as an option
For trucks it was later but most are automatics now with manual as pay extra option, or not offered at all, like the new Ranger

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I intend to make every one of my nieces learn to drive on my mustang with a bad clutch and a broken synchro on first...

while I dont value a manual for most situations, I can appreciate they are fun and everyone should at least know how to drive one just in case.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "just in case" was my argument, lol

Now its "just in case" What?
My cellphone battery is dead and can't text Uber :)

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The "just in case" was my argument, lol

Now its "just in case" What?
My cellphone battery is dead and can't text Uber :)
When the world turns to post apocalyptic chaos and a hoard of death stalkers is bearing down on you and the only escape vehicle you find is a 1974 pinto with a 4 speed manual... you'll be glad someone forced you to learn how to work a clutch!

Well that's my "just in case"...

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
How is the Stabilitrac going crazy the automatic transmissions fault? I totally get not trusting the electronics, but even manual transmission vehicles are going to have electronics. Believe it or not those same electronics can deem your manual trans just as useless as you think an automatic is by taking away any engine controls. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, that's ultimately your decision, but your stated reason for hating automatics doesn't add up to me.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I get it. I love manuals. When I was 16-20 I hated autos... my first automatic vehicle was a 727 torqueflite. First thing I did was put a reverse manual valve body and a ratchet shifter in it. And I realized how much fun and strong autos can be. Since then my toys have manuals but for practical use I like an auto. I've even considered taking the 4 speed rock crusher out of my stang for a c6 trans braked reverse manual with a ratchet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals