• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 ecoBoost 4x4 M/T Shopping list

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hey, I know @adsm08 and @RonD gave me the recipe for the 2.3EB m/t 4x4 shopping list a while back, but I wanted to get a thread together for research purposes.

What all would be needed for the combo? Transmission and transfer case options? Would prefer if manual tcase, but curious as to all options on that one. More economical to look into an adapter plate or bellhousing?

Would SAS be advantageous due to opening up more transfer case options?

I'm still researching aftermarket ecu with EFI conversion or if cheaper and easier to use a tuner or send out the factory unit for lobotomy. There's some good options for nerds like me out there.

Is there already a thread about this and I'm too lazy to use the f***ing search bar?

Oh. @bobbywalter @Shran @4x4junkie because ya'll are driveline gods.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
And here's how a bunch of Kia owners feel about it:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

2.3l Ecoboost has a Duratec I4 pattern
So transmissions from these engines an ONLY these engines will bolt to it:
1.8/2.0/2.3/2.3 DISI Turbo/2.5 Duratec (Mazda L engine)
2.0/2.3 EcoBoost

And they are pretty much all FWD except for the Rangers
Ranger never came with 2.3l duratec and 4WD transmission

2.3l Duratec did come with the M5OD-R1(M5R1) and that can be converted to 4WD by installing new tailshaft and tailshaft housing
But...................if you want to have manual shift you need a tail shaft house with the 2 bung holes to mount the transfercase shifter
Picture here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/drivetrain-tech-37/15852d1265068456-4x4-tailhousings-oss-2003_manual_ext_housing_sm.jpg

Also seen is the speed sensor which you can use or there are other options depending on the computer setup you end up using

And then bolt it to a manual shift BW1354 transfercase

So
2002-2011 M5R1 from 2.3l Ranger
1990-2011 M5R1 4WD tail shaft and housing, with bung holes
BW1354 manual shift WITH shift linkage

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Doesn't the mustang have a manual trans option with their 2.3 ecoboost? I dunno what it is but I imagine it's better than the m5od... whether its transfer case-able is another story. But there's always the divorced case option.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Doesn't the mustang have a manual trans option with their 2.3 ecoboost? I dunno what it is but I imagine it's better than the m5od... whether its transfer case-able is another story. But there's always the divorced case option.
That was the other one I was trying to shake the tree on.

Ron's recipe was the one from a different thread (thanks God!). From my understanding it would work if I were to keep the engine in stock form. My concern would be blowing up the transmission if I start playing around with the engine (which, let's be serious, it's me, so that's bound to happen).

The Mustang option would work well if I found a wrecked parts car - would give me an ecm, etc that would be built to work with a manual.

Divorced transfer cases are something I know absolutely nothing about.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Divorced case just doesnt bolt directly to the transmission. Transmission - short driveshaft coupling - transfer case - regular driveshaft. Some older f250s had np205 divorced cases. Np205 is about as robust as a transfer case gets. Plus you can double it with an NP203 and have a 4 speed transfer case with a crazy crawl gear. Its alot of drivetrain length for a ranger though. Not sure how short the rear driveshaft would be.

Doing a quick search the trans in the mustang is a 6 speed getrag which has transfer case options.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
M5R1 has torque rating of 330ft/lb
Mustang 6-speeds MT82-D4 is 375ft/lb, or TR-3160 at 310ft/lb

The "D4" is the latest so would be the most expensive to find, the MT82, did have issues, which is why Ford reworked it and added the "D4" designation
D4 also changed MT82 to a double overdrive, so 4th is 1:1, 5th and 6th are OD, so same as the M5R1 5-speed with an extra OD added

So options are, you can get a "bolt in" M5R1/BW1354 with 330ft/lb

Or D4/customized 4WD with 375ft/lb

IMO the M5R1/BW1354 is a no brainer at this time, they are not expensive to get, or replace if you did manage to blow one up, lol, but at that time OTHER options might be available for the 2.3l Ecoboost

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
No way would I put a divorced t-case in something like this, when you have the option to put a 4x4 tail housing and shaft on a Duratec M5OD. I love 205's, they are big fawking heavy bullet proof t-cases... the one I rebuilt last winter was actually full of mud and still somewhat functioned. But put a short driveshaft and more u-joints and a weird shifter into the mix just to have a bastard 4x4 for fun... naw... hard pass.

Personally, I would build a custom M5OD like Ron said and put either a 1354 behind it or an Atlas... or build an adapter to run something else. The ZF 5 and 6 speeds or the GM NV3500/4500 transmissions would be at top of that list in my book.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I know nothing about m5ods... I assumed that were "light truck" stuff which is why I pointed out other options. But aparently they are rock solid. Never knew. :dunno: based on fords choice of automatics in the ranger you could see my point. I wouldn't put a 4/5r behind anything. They are barely capable of withstanding a 2.3 lima.

I had a 205/203 in my ramcharger and "lo-low" was like idle crawling up a mountain. Only a 203 owner understand lo...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Didn't Gwali (sp?) have a crawl rate of something like 8000:1 on that monster he built?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
No way would I put a divorced t-case in something like this, when you have the option to put a 4x4 tail housing and shaft on a Duratec M5OD. I love 205's, they are big fawking heavy bullet proof t-cases... the one I rebuilt last winter was actually full of mud and still somewhat functioned. But put a short driveshaft and more u-joints and a weird shifter into the mix just to have a bastard 4x4 for fun... naw... hard pass.

Personally, I would build a custom M5OD like Ron said and put either a 1354 behind it or an Atlas... or build an adapter to run something else. The ZF 5 and 6 speeds or the GM NV3500/4500 transmissions would be at top of that list in my book.
The M5R1 idea has me rather captivated. They're $75 when they come in to the local u pull, and I think I have a 1354 in the parts bunker. If not, another $50 at the u pull.

Ecm is going to be the interesting part. Could gut a Mustang, or lobotomize the factory unit ($150-250 for the lobotomy) if an autotragic. Wouldn't want to lose a lot of the features like trail mode, traction control, etc. But, if that's what it's going to take in order to make everything work, so be it.

The efi kits for the EB seem to run $350-1500 depending on what you go with. Not too bad.

I think my next step is to research how much a ecm/tcm/bcm rely on one another, and how much cutting I can do without losing factory functionality on auxiliary stuff.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I know nothing about m5ods... I assumed that were "light truck" stuff which is why I pointed out other options. But aparently they are rock solid. Never knew. :dunno: based on fords choice of automatics in the ranger you could see my point. I wouldn't put a 4/5r behind anything. They are barely capable of withstanding a 2.3 lima.

I had a 205/203 in my ramcharger and "lo-low" was like idle crawling up a mountain. Only a 203 owner understand lo...
Oh, they are very light duty, don't get me wrong... but they're fairly stout, and by far the "easy button" in this situation since it doesn't require a custom bellhousing adapter, starter, flywheel, clutch, etc.

Divorced transfer cases didn't stick around very long because the linkage and extra driveshaft parts make them very cumbersome.

I understand the 203 thing fully, they're the only t-case I haven't been able to pick up by myself! So heavy.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 205 and 203 are almost identical but the 203 is full time 4x4 so in regular mode its awd. Then it has hi-lo lock. Which turns it into a true 4x4. Old dodges had 203s and were just full time awd until you went into lock mode. Then it became a np205. The 205 and 203 bolt together at the case half and give you 2 gears from the 205 and 2 from the 203. Crawl ratio is insane. Like I said my ramcharger with only a 360 gas engine in low-lo would do 5mph and push down trees like a tractor.

Atlas makes awesome cases with just as low gears but I've never seen a 205/203 doubler die.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think my next step is to research how much a ecm/tcm/bcm rely on one another, and how much cutting I can do without losing factory functionality on auxiliary stuff.
Depends on what it is in.

If you have a manual trans you don't need a TCM at all. In most Fords the ECM/TCM are one unit.

The BCM can be removed from the system, it just depends on how many creature comforts you want to loose. BCM is part of the PATS system, but that can be fixed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals