• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 duratec engine max speed limiter

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i drove the reg cab 2.3 5spd ranger (2003) my mom has, the truck has great acceleration, in fact i feel it more than my 99 2.5 5spd, but when i was trying to reach the top speed, the truck was running hard, and then at the 90mph mark, it felts like if the limiter goes on, cuz it stops pushing, then if i lower the speed and push it again at full gas it reaches the 90mph but stays there, is the limiter set to 90mph?
i believe i have reached the 100mph in my 2.5, when i try to go faster than 100mph , the limiter goes on, is this the normal limited speeds on this trucks?
also i have noticed that, when shifting at the limit, the 2.3 cuts ignition like about 5300rpm, while the 2.5 i have pushed into 5800rpm, or maybe to 6000rpm sometimes

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
its limited there. and stop beating on your poor moms pickup!!

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
wow that sucks i have 95 reg cab short bed with a 2.3 5spd. all i got say is its fast.when i say fast like 125 fast haha.i dont ever tryu getn fifth gear till like 115 or better. i dont ever touch fourth till 65-70.

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
speed cut at 92 mph. My 01 and 03 had them. Also, my 05 Roush F150 had it as well. My 07 did not have the 92 cutout though.

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
so what determines the speed limiter? is it year, model,engine, what cuz thats odd for an 07

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
its limited there. and stop beating on your poor moms pickup!!
yeah i know :annoyed: i cant be beating my moms truck, but i did it just to get out of the curiosity
is there any performance chip to lift the speed limiter??
why if the 2.3 is a dohc 16v they liited it so low, i asume it can handle more high rpms and high speed than the old ohv 2.3 and 2.5 right?
damn i love my 2.5 more now!!:yahoo::yahoo: it reaches 100mph!!:headbang:

but i wont be taking them to the limit no more, :annoyed: i might damage something

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i know :annoyed: i cant be beating my moms truck, but i did it just to get out of the curiosity
is there any performance chip to lift the speed limiter??
why if the 2.3 is a dohc 16v they liited it so low, i asume it can handle more high rpms and high speed than the old ohv 2.3 and 2.5 right?
damn i love my 2.5 more now!!:yahoo::yahoo: it reaches 100mph!!:headbang:

but i wont be taking them to the limit no more, :annoyed: i might damage something
Really though why would you want to remove the speed governor??? These trucks are unsafe at high speeds.

Last edited:

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i would have to agree on that. these trucks r very unstable at high speeds. unless u drop them down 3-4 inches in the rear. another 3 in the front.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mmm yeah i noticed that too :p lol!!
nah im gonna leave them as they are, they are suposed to be work trucks, anyway not sports cars, its just good to know how much they can speed, thats it, thanks for the attention :)

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
My duratec can rev way higher than 5300. The Duratec doesn't make peak (horse)power until the 5200rpm range and can rev quite a bit higher than that, at least on my truck. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure the rev limiter on mine isn't until well after 6 grand.

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i dont even have a tach in mine but i want one. ive hit the rev limiter except for sittn at the res light gettn ready to dust an import lol.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Diablosport chip could lift it, and they make it for the 4-banger!

even though they are no doubt not build for high speeds, unless its in baha 1000!

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:

but i wont be taking them to the limit no more, :annoyed: i might damage something[/QUOTE]

dude the duratec motors can do it all day ur not hurtin nothin.. jus make sure u have coolant and oil and run it

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
:

dude the duratec motors can do it all day ur not hurtin nothin.. jus make sure u have coolant and oil and run it[/QUOTE]

yeah i know, duratecs and my lima2.5 can handle it, but i just waste fuel, and can end in a trailers ass, cuz my roads are pretty breath taking when u are at high speeds lol!!
alos my bro recently purchased a 2000 3.0 v6 with 5spd so we are gonig to take that one to speed lol:headbang::headbang:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey wen ur bro gets that 3.0 truck, race the duratec against him.. iv always been curious to see ..

of course it depends on alot of things like: cab and bed lengths, trannys, rear end gears, wheels and tires...

but i think with both engines in trucks with the same configuration shudd be a dam good race:icon_thumby: even tho we are talkin bout slow ass lil pick ups.. id like to show a corvette owner our convos' :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals