• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2.3 2wd manual transmission to 4x4 transmission.

verntheranger

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This truck means a lot to me but I would like one feature and thats 4x4. I want to keep the 2.3L engine as it has only 58,000 miles on it. I know that its easier to sell it and get a 4x4 truck. I don't want that though. I knows it hard to find a 2.3L manual 4x4 transmissions too. I was just wonder can I convert my 2wd manual to a 4x4 transmission? Where is the best place to find a 2.3L manual 4x4 transmission if you know of any. Should I get ranger parts closer to my year which is a (2008) or all years the same. Will any of the Mazda B series fit my ranger at all. Thanks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, you'll have to make one... it will take near complete disassembly of two transmissions to make one (well technically you can make two transmissions out of two transmissions...). You will pretty much want to find a 3.0L 4x4 manual transmission (any year, 3.0L only came with an M5OD...) just to make things easier as the internal gear ratios match, ideally I think you want to go '95ish or newer so everything is the same inside but I think all you need is the output shaft and tail housing from the 4x4 trans... watch some you tube video's on rebuilding the M5OD so you can see how to get the output shaft out, it's not too hard, once you get the shift housing off you can get to the big nut, lock it in second and third gear so the shafts don't turn and get the nut off and that's about all I remember for now :), I'll be rebuilding the M5OD in my '90 here within the month though...

verntheranger

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you'll have to make one... it will take near complete disassembly of two transmissions to make one (well technically you can make two transmissions out of two transmissions...). You will pretty much want to find a 3.0L 4x4 manual transmission (any year, 3.0L only came with an M5OD...) just to make things easier as the internal gear ratios match, ideally I think you want to go '95ish or newer so everything is the same inside but I think all you need is the output shaft and tail housing from the 4x4 trans... watch some you tube video's on rebuilding the M5OD so you can see how to get the output shaft out, it's not too hard, once you get the shift housing off you can get to the big nut, lock it in second and third gear so the shafts don't turn and get the nut off and that's about all I remember for now :), I'll be rebuilding the M5OD in my '90 here within the month though...
Thank you! Time to get to work and find one and start building it out! Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals