• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0L ('83-'88) 2.0 upgrades

84dangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey Everyone! So i have a 84 ranger that we passed down from my grandfather, and i’m looking to give the motor a little life, i know the 2.0 is very low hp. Are there any better carbs or upgrades that can be done to give it a little more power, i know id be lucky to get 100hp out of it lol, just looking to spruce it up a bit! Thanks!!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
heck you're lucky to get 100hp out of that generation 2.3L :)

I imagine there's some things to do, but best gains are probably going to be somewhat invasive... like pulling the head and porting the intake runners (the intake ports are the restriction on the Lima's of most years...) and maybe finding a marine 2 barrel intake manifold... other than maybe camshaft I'm not sure what else there's out there shy of putting higher compression pistons in it or something...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i bet you could put a weber 32/36 on it and get a little more from her. that's a really common upgrade carb for many many vehicles and gives an improvement in power and mileage

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If you have the 1-bbl, then upgrading the intake would make a bit of difference. The exhaust manifold is not too bad from the factory, with a newer factory cast iron being an improvement, and a bolt-on. I don't remember the year, but it would be 4-5 years newer. It just looks better in addition to being better.
I think you could put an 89-94 cam and roller followers in and would gain a good chunk of power. You may find a full set in a boneyard, but be sure to grab both cam and followers.
The best upgrade would be to get either a 2.3 or a 2.5, but work with what you have first to see if it is adequate. I think you would notice the cam & follower improvement immediately.
tom

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
i bet you could put a weber 32/36 on it and get a little more from her. that's a really common upgrade carb for many many vehicles and gives an improvement in power and mileage
Everyone I know in the Toyota/Suzuki world hates Weber carbs. I always hear the same thing - temp goes up 10 degrees, retune. Go up a mountain, retune. Summer, retune. Moon cycles, retune. They never run right, I have never heard anyone say they really like them...and these are people who have dealt with them for decades.

One of my buddies was making Toyota->2bbl adapters and using 2150 Motorcraft carburetors on 20R/22R engines. He was really happy with overall performance. A small 2bbl might be OK on a Ford 2.0, but like Tom said, a 2.3 or 2.5 would be really ideal.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
the motorcraft is the go to carb on jeeps too. i used the 2100 and 2150 on my jeep 4.0s a little but instead of having a gas sucking two barrel, i just swapped to a four barrel so i got the better gas mileage on the front smaller barrels and when i needed to move, i could open the back ones up and smoke the tires. i used a four barrel from an old 60s mustang on my stroker and it was the best of all the carbs i tried.

i have run and worked on all of them and not had problems with any. even the quadrajet carbs from chevy are actually really good carbs, especially for off roading.

i liked running weber on smaller displacement engines because they are easy to work on and adaptable. i ran one on my 79 bmw and it improved gas mileage over the mechanical fuel injection and i got more power.

if those guys are having temp problems, they jetted it to small. are they tuning with a vacuum gage or by ear? most carb guys work by ear and thats why they have problems.

84dangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have the 1-bbl, then upgrading the intake would make a bit of difference. The exhaust manifold is not too bad from the factory, with a newer factory cast iron being an improvement, and a bolt-on. I don't remember the year, but it would be 4-5 years newer. It just looks better in addition to being better.
I think you could put an 89-94 cam and roller followers in and would gain a good chunk of power. You may find a full set in a boneyard, but be sure to grab both cam and followers.
The best upgrade would be to get either a 2.3 or a 2.5, but work with what you have first to see if it is adequate. I think you would notice the cam & follower improvement immediately.
tom
Thanks man!! I would really love to throw a 2.3 turbo diesel but from what ive seen they are pretty hard to find, if not that then a carbed 4 cyl and throw a small turbo on!

84dangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Everyone I know in the Toyota/Suzuki world hates Weber carbs. I always hear the same thing - temp goes up 10 degrees, retune. Go up a mountain, retune. Summer, retune. Moon cycles, retune. They never run right, I have never heard anyone say they really like them...and these are people who have dealt with them for decades.

One of my buddies was making Toyota->2bbl adapters and using 2150 Motorcraft carburetors on 20R/22R engines. He was really happy with overall performance. A small 2bbl might be OK on a Ford 2.0, but like Tom said, a 2.3 or 2.5 would be really ideal.
I think thats my goal is to get a 2.3 and se if i cant find a small turbo to throw on it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals