• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st timer! Need a little help figuring out axle gearing

BanginDitches4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright I bought a 1987 ranger 4x4 2.9, 5 speed a few months ago from Indiana , I'm in ohio, anyways, this is my first off road rig, it's been my daily driver till now, I just purchased a car, so now I can build my ranger,, the guy I bought it from took it to haspen acres, and I'm assuming he broke an axle, because my front and rear gearing isn't the same, I'd like some help on how to figure out what I have in both axles, I'm thinking it's got 4.10s in the rear, doing 60mph, I'm almost at 3000 rpms in 5 gear (overdrive), I'm assuming I gotta put the truck on jack stands and count the drive shaft rotations? My future plans are to run 33s or 35s with atleast a Dana 35 in the front, assuming it has the Dana 28

DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An easy way to see is to jack up the truck, put a mark on a tire as a reference point. mark the drive shaft/yolk also. then see how many turns of the drive shaft it takes to make the tire go one full revolution. Less than 4, its a 3.73. a little more than 4 would be a 4.10. (Just make sure both left and right side tires are both turning)

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I could calculate your gear ratio if you gave me your tire size and the exact RPM at 60.

If you pop the diff cover off, the ratio will be stamped in the side of the ring gear.

BanginDitches4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 31s,, and I'll have I get back with you abou the exact rpm, I'm talking a vacation down to Florida for a week!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals