• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st Project Truck... A nightmare lol...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So... you saying the wire harness under the hood is hacked up? If it is... we need pictures.

I like to use an actual spark tester. They look like a spark plug with a clip on it. The way the electrode is it will also test the overall health of the system by making it put out max voltage from the coil.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Take a deep breath... this electrical thing is not nearly as bad as you make it sound. But after you check for spark,.. you really need to have a couple more tools. The first tool is going to be a multi meter. They are pretty cheap...

jamsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So... you saying the wire harness under the hood is hacked up? If it is... we need pictures.

I like to use an actual spark tester. They look like a spark plug with a clip on it. The way the electrode is it will also test the overall health of the system by making it put out max voltage from the coil.
Take a deep breath... this electrical thing is not nearly as bad as you make it sound. But after you check for spark,.. you really need to have a couple more tools. The first tool is going to be a multi meter. They are pretty cheap...
okay so the wiring harness appears to be fine actually, it's just there are varying degrees of wear on the wires, as in someone likely came in a few months prior and fixed something. hmmm so a spark tester, is that expensive? Can I pick one up at my local O'Reillys? I have a multimeter too!
Appreciate the vote of confidence, it's jsut that any sort of competency I feel I have with automotive vehicles is not in electrical stuff lol...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They're cheap too... but try with using a spark plug. Should be a healthy blue spark

jamsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They're cheap too... but try with using a spark plug. Should be a healthy blue spark
awesome, I'll update tonight! TLDR (shouldn't have bought pre-OBD2) lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A 1991 Ranger in that condition would be like gold in NH, don't give up on it. Not all electrical/electronic parts are created equal, Motorcraft is a good brand, Duralast is for cheapskates and amateurs.

jamsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Remove a plug from the engine, plug into wire boot, observe it for spark while someone is cranking the motor. Maybe in a darkened environment.

alrighty... so tested for spark last night as you guys suggested by plugging in wire boot to plug outside the engine and cranked. No spark... not surprised but questioning my next few moves. I'll look deeper in this forum forsure, but a point in the right direction either on this forum or IRL would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

jamsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A 1991 Ranger in that condition would be like gold in NH, don't give up on it. Not all electrical/electronic parts are created equal, Motorcraft is a good brand, Duralast is for cheapskates and amateurs.
Great to hear man, I have this vision in my head of what it'll look like in a few months and that's really what is keeping me goin. definitely gonna stick with motorcraft when I can, but nothing beats the good ol pick n pull scrap yards lol

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I am suspicious of that wasted ignition switch. But, I'm honestly not familiar enough with starting and ignition system as it relates to the ignition switch itself. Is it possible for the igniton switch to have lost its "on" functionality while still being able to "start" (crank the motor). Maybe?!?!

I would work through that trouble shooting guide they linked up.

jamsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am suspicious of that wasted ignition switch. But, I'm honestly not familiar enough with starting and ignition system as it relates to the ignition switch itself. Is it possible for the igniton switch to have lost its "on" functionality while still being able to "start" (crank the motor). Maybe?!?!

I would work through that trouble shooting guide they linked up.
yeah gonna start workin through the trouble shooting guide tomorrow. I'll post some pics of the ignition cylinder or whatever it's called. It really is mangled to all hell lol. I am suspicious of it too as well, I kinda thought maybe it had triggered a failsafe, but perhaps that's too much for a ford from the early 90s lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals