• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger 4.0 swap from 2004 Ranger Questions

Discgolfer54301

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. Wondering if anyone could help answer questions regarding a swap from a 2004 Ranger to a 1999 Ranger. The 1999 was my daily driver but the engine started having some issues and I found a good replacement engine in an 04. Both are 4.0 V6 engines, however the entire upper halves of the engines are different. I've pulled them both out of their respective bodies, but wondering what I am going to require to complete the swap. Transmission parts have all been switched out appropriately, but essentially the wiring harness and sensors are looking less and less compatible each time I look them over. The other area I'm noticing may cause issue is the exhaust piping. The 04 exhaust runs deeper off the back of the block than the 99 engine did. Anyone have any experience swapping similar years or advice for best plan to make the swap successful? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I'm guessing your trying to put an SOHC 4.0 in place of a pushrod 4.0. That's going to be a challenge and most likely not worth your trouble. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the various year models and engineers available. Maybe @RonD @adsm08 or some of the other gurus will chime in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals