1999 Ranger 4.0 swap from 2004 Ranger Questions

Discgolfer54301

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello. Wondering if anyone could help answer questions regarding a swap from a 2004 Ranger to a 1999 Ranger. The 1999 was my daily driver but the engine started having some issues and I found a good replacement engine in an 04. Both are 4.0 V6 engines, however the entire upper halves of the engines are different. I've pulled them both out of their respective bodies, but wondering what I am going to require to complete the swap. Transmission parts have all been switched out appropriately, but essentially the wiring harness and sensors are looking less and less compatible each time I look them over. The other area I'm noticing may cause issue is the exhaust piping. The 04 exhaust runs deeper off the back of the block than the 99 engine did. Anyone have any experience swapping similar years or advice for best plan to make the swap successful? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

G8orFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm guessing your trying to put an SOHC 4.0 in place of a pushrod 4.0. That's going to be a challenge and most likely not worth your trouble. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about the various year models and engineers available. Maybe @RonD @adsm08 or some of the other gurus will chime in.