• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ranger 2.5 missing fuel regulator?

elementaltoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1999 Ranger 2.5 4 banger, I finally got it running and went tinkering with it today to recheck fuel pressure.

Initially the truck would not run, I took out the pump and replaced the fuel line that appeared to have popped off the pump. I did notice the truck had no regulator on the line and assumed it may have had the 1998 equipment since it was built in 1998.

Today I got to looking at the fuel rail while doing plugs and wires, I have never seen plugs or wires that utterly destroyed...

I noticed however it does not appear to have a return fuel line, I mistook the EVAP line from the pump cap to the front of the vehicle as a return.

Has anyone seen or heard of someone removing the regulator altogether? The fuel pressure sits steady at 85psi constantly, it does run and drive but bogs when you let out of it suddenly (flooding I assume).

I ordered a Spectra pump assembly with the regulator from Rock Auto, which should be here Tuesday, but I was curious if anyone has seen something like this and what it would do to the truck. I assume they thought the damper on the rail was the regulator?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The fuel delivery is accomplished through a mechanical, returnless fuel system (MRFS). There are no fuel return lines external to the fuel tank (9002).

The fuel pump (9350) supplies the fuel injectors (9F593) with pressurized fuel through the fuel injection supply manifold (9D280).
Fuel pressure is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator (9C968) which is mounted to the fuel pump bracket within the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator is not serviceable.
A rollover protection valve is also mounted to the fuel pump and is not serviceable.

elementaltoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the previous owner definitely removed a much needed part of the fuel system then. Hopefully that fixes up the bogging I have going on, I'll let it sit until it comes in this week and then crack into it again.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
The regulator should be on the pump assembly, if there isn't one, then someone has put the wrong sending unit in it. There is no return line on these, the should run a constant 40psi I think. Also, the regulator could have went bad and is not letting the excess fuel back to the tank.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford Returnless fuel system runs at 65psi normally.
The older return line system ran at 40psi.

Returnless have a Pulse Damper at the end of the fuel rail with a vacuum line attached, the vacuum line is a safety feature in case the diaphragm fails/leaks.

Last edited:

elementaltoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The regulator should be on the pump assembly, if there isn't one, then someone has put the wrong sending unit in it. There is no return line on these, the should run a constant 40psi I think. Also, the regulator could have went bad and is not letting the excess fuel back to the tank.
The regulator is definitely not there, I can't fathom why they left it out or didn't match the old assembly to the one in there. I'm guessing they got a junk yard assembly from an older vehicle or just replaced the pump and left out what they thought was an unnecessary piece.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info Ron, I know the only return less system I have ever worked on (not a ford) its spec fuel pressure was 40.

Some people just don't pay attention or care if its right. They only care if it runs....

elementaltoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New Spectra fuel pump is installed, I got home and saw the package waiting so I pulled the bead real quick and popped the pump in. Final code for EVAP passed, and it's ready to be inspected after its' 2+ year slumber.

These little 2.5 trucks are tough. It still has a slight lifter tap issue, which I may pull the valve cover soon to investigate. The lifters are only $3 a pop and seem to have an integrated "pushrod", I'm sure after 170k miles they are gunked up.

I'm running some High Mileage conventional Penzoil 10-30 with some seafoam in it to clean out the crud. After that, I've got a motorcraft filter and Penzoil Platinum 5w-20 to go in.

Monroe shocks are on their way, just some cheapies to get by for a while, those will go on Thursday, and I've got a pair of upper ball joints to put on at the same time.

I appreciate the help, the old pump was definitely not correct and seems to be from a longer wheelbase truck, the sending unit isn't even shaped the same. But the bogging issue is now gone and all seems well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals