• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Mazda B2500 SE--worth it?

GusterisforLovers

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hi Ranger Experts,

I'm considering purchasing a '99 Mazda B2500 SE 2D for $3,500. Manual transmission, 87,000 miles, no rust, in great aesthetic condition. What worries me is that according to the TRS buyers' guide, 1999 is a really bad year for recalls/general problems for the Ranger. And since Mazda B-series trucks are (from what I can tell) clones of the Rangers, I'm worried a '99 B2500 will be plagued with all the same issues. Is this a real concern? is the '99 Ranger really a lemon, and does that spell disaster for the '99 B2500? Or is this a deal to spring for?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I doubt there's much that can go wrong with that drivetrain, the 2.5L is pretty solid, the manual trans behind it is fairly solid, there's likely not much in the way of whiz bang features to break. With what these things are going for now I don't think that's too bad. That's the second year of that front suspension so not too bad there. They made a billion (not literally) of those things so parts are fairly common...

GusterisforLovers

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, scotts90ranger! So the spike in reported problems for the Ranger in '99 wouldn't necessarily be a reason to steer clear of that iteration?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
None of the ranger years are really a big trouble spot that I know of, some automatic transmissions have issues at times, some distributors have problems at times, and some engines have timing chain issues, what you're looking at has none of that :). Not saying there couldn't be airbag or electrical issues, but it likely only has 1-2 airbags and minimal electrical.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals