• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Ranger

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I've had my truck for a while and done a few things, so figured, what the hell, I'll start some sort of a build/change thread, just to remind myself I couldn't leave the damned thing alone. If I hear any suggestions of what else to do, I'll probably at least consider them (isn't that the point of this forum?:icon_twisted:). Haven't done much, but I like it as much now as ever.

Bought in 2005 with 78,000 miles on it. 3.0 FFV 4x4 XLT. Kinda wish it had the rear cab doors, but that's not much of an issue if you're in the driver's seat lol.

When I bought it:

I liked the alloys on it since I've only seen two other Rangers with them - although countless Mountaineers - in my area. The damn things leaked air like crazy and were pretty badly pitted under the lamination:

How/why the clearcoat/laminate allowed corrosion to spread so badly beneath it is beyond me, but I decided to change the look a bit and go with steel wheels. I always liked the older style RBV wheels, so I snagged a set of four and sandblasted them so I could repaint them gloss black. While they were off, I fitted new tires on them since the Wrangler Radials seem to wear out like pencil erasers on me and I figured it was worth trying a different tire.

I really like the Uniroyal Liberators compared to the stock tire, and they seem a LOT better in the rain.

Original Goodyear Wrangler Radial on left, Uniroyal Liberator on right:

After mounting them:

Usually I have the topper off, but even with it on, my truck seemed kinda jacked in the back, so I finally had the T-Bars cranked to level it somewhat. I will mention it's not a bad idea to get new camber bolts as the camber will be thrown off, plus it finally helped me get rid of that funny "Ranger lean" I've heard mentioned. With the bed empty and no topper, I had a 4" difference between the front and back:icon_confused:

Now it sits with the back 1" higher with my toolbox and shit in the bed.

As for other mods, I did a 2.5" cat back with a Flowmaster 40 muffler.

It doesn't sound too bad either in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWiynDOfHW
(edit: can't get embed to work)

The other minor mods I did were to remove the air horn looking thing in front of the airbox, then port and polish the MAF housing: (A better explanation is given here: http://rogueperformance.com/ModifiedMAF.html )

The only other thing I touched on the intake was the tube itself. I thought it looked better and was smoother flowing than the rubber one.

After three years, the intake kit is still holding together fine, there are no leaks, I can still use an OEM style filter, and my upper is even fairly clean when I popped off the throttle body to clean the IAC, compared to when other friends took the TB's off their 3.0's:

It's been pretty much to that point for tha last 3 years. I've run only E85 thru the engine since I bought it due to the ease of finding E85, and the price difference vs. fuel economy difference (Last fill up was $2.68/gallon for E85 at the local Cenex, while regular 87 was $3.58 around town). Only other change I don't have pictured is replacing the stock alternator for a larger 135amp for an Explorer.

Let me know what you think (here we go....)!

Last edited:

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
NICE!! I like the rims. Maybe through a small suspension lift on it and that's it. its a clean truck.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I don't know how much taller I really need it. It's surprising how much height i gained under the front axle just cranking the T-Bars. The rims were off a 1988 Ranger and are 15x7 rims. I just got sick of seeing so many Crager Soft 8's :p

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Just got done putting these on today. Made a HUGE difference in stopping power:

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
A better pic of how it sits with the T-bars cranked:

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Its leveled out nice! Would look sweet with a little bit bigger/meaty tire.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I can't deny I'm pondering a bit bigger tires, but it's more of a DD. I didn't realize until it leveled out how much bigger the front wheel well is than the back wheel well. Running it as long as I did with the front sagging and the camber off really chewed the inner tread down, so new tires are coming within a year. I just have to figure out what's good for year round use. The Wrangler Radials were great for ice because they were so soft, but I've gotten three years out fo the Uniroyal Liberators. The Wranglers would've been great if they didn't have a propensity to hydroplane and lasted longer than the blink of an eye when piling on highway miles. I think the combined effects of going from the lighter/cheaper Wranglers/alloys to the steel wheels with the heavy Uniroyals might bere where 1-2mpg went in the last couple years....

Of course, always wanting to put my foot in it a little with the Flowmaster doesn't help either - but the look on people's faces when i burble past about 1500ish RPM is great. Im not sure if I should be amused or dumbfounded by some people when they ask if I did a V8 swap, and at least one guy (my neighbor) had owned 3 rangers himself.

Last edited:

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
This is what my truck looked like before the SAS.
4in lift
33x12.50 BFG Allturrains
I'm from the snow myself and these tires served me VERY well.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Those look nice. Did you have any speedometer issues? I really don't want to stumble into that sort of headache when all the small towns are populated speedtraps and 2-3mph over can get you pulled over. I think our stock tires are roughly 31inches.

Kevery

06/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1978
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
My speedometer didn't change much. You should be fine since you'll be running a little smaller size.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Got my new leaf packs in finally! The rear spring hangers were pretty rotted (which I've seen on this site before). Upgraded form 3 leaves to 4:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Get falken wild peak tires in 31 10.5 15 it's got the street grove that does good off road. They come will a 50k mile warranty.

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also have Falken Wild Peaks (technically rocky mountains from Discount tire, but same tire as wild peaks) in 30 9.5 15 and they are a great tire! My father has had a set for 4 years on his Chevy 3/4 ton 265/70r17 or something like that, and my brother has the 235/75r15 version on his ranger. All 3 sets have been amazing on road, off road and in the snow. Plus, I think mine were around $100 a piece. I highly recommend them

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I'm considering the Cooper AT 3 for my ranger since I'm hearing good things about them:

All my cars have Coopers on them but I haven't run Coopers on a 4WD since my XJ almost a decade ago and I don't remember what they were:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals