• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Ranger V8 swap

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Currently working on getting everything together to perform the V8 swap on my 1999 Ford Ranger. Ranger is supercab, 4x4, manual transmission, with 4.0L V6. Picked up a complete explorer. It is a 1997 5.0L V8 AWD.

Plan is to put the 5.0 into the ranger. Using a M5ODR2 from a 1997 to 2003 Ford F150 with the 4.2L V6. Mating a BW4406 electronic shift tcase and with the front shaft from a 4.6L V8 F150. Then having the rear shaft modified to the correct length based on measurements once engine/trans/tcase are in. Doing a 3 in body lift before swapping everything around for a little more clearance on things. Also swapping the Explorer rear axle into the Ranger for the larger 31 spline 8.8, disc brakes, and limited slip rear diff.

Based off information I have been able to find, I need the flywheel off a 1995 to 1996 F150 5.0. Clutch from the 4.2 V6. Starter from the 1995 to 1996 F150 5.0L. Then will need to add a return and pressure regulator to the fuel system. Explorer does not have PATS so no completely sure what I need to do there as the Ranger does. Then the other thing to figure out will be the VSS set up as they are different.

This is a daily driver/weekend toy. Will try and get some pictures put up of the before and after each stage. Also will probably have a bunch of questions as things go. Biggest thing I am trying to figure out right now is how to get the ECM programmed for the manual instead of the auto.

Stage 1 is going to be swapping the rear axle and springs. Have to weld new perches to the top of the axle, new shock mounts to the axle, and doing a lift shackle/torsion key kit.
Stage 2 will be the body lift. (may end up doing stage 1 and 2 at the same time)
Stage 3 will be pulling the engine/trans/harnesses/fuel system from the Explorer. Then getting the rest of the parts together and then figure out the next stages.

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Also planning on trying to convert the Ranger to power locks, power windows, power mirrors, and keyless entry hopefully using parts off the Explorer. Still researching what options I have there.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Having a plan is a good start and having a donor vehicle is even better. I'd do some research on your local laws before starting, though. In NH, anything under 8600 gvw that's 96 or newer requires and OBD II emissions inspection, if the VIN in the PCM doesn't match the registration it won't pass inspection. If I took the complete running gear, wiring harness, PCM, and all the emissions equipment out of a 2001 and transplanted it into a 96, it would never pass inspection even though it complied with stricter emissions standards.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
@19Walt93 - How do you handle replacing a PCM in NJ when that's needed? I.e. can the VIN be encoded to a replacement PCM as needed? If so, I wonder if you could get that taken care of with a tuner.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'm in NH, not NJ. When we replaced PCMs at the dealer we would program them to match the vehicle. The programming is driven by the VIN, we didn't get to load details, it was the whole program or nothing.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Sorry, I meant NH.

Regardless, if it can be written that way then it may be possible. Not using the dealer equipment though.

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Should not have to worry about that aspect where I live. So far should have all the parts for the rear axle swap here tomorrow. Ordered the body lift parts and not sure yet when they will be here. Will get some before pictures and then will be starting on the rear axle swap either this weekend or next weekend. Taking my time to try and get the best deal I can on the transmission and transfer case.

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
On the transfer case, can the 4406 electronic shift motor be swapped with the one off the Ranger so that the factory switch works? My wife would prefer to keep the electronic shift using the stock switch. Thanks.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The no-pats pcm will work just fine in the Ranger - it will never look for the pats system "ok" as part of the startup process, so it will just start.

However, the fact that you are putting 97 powertrain in a 99 will be a problem if you need the vehicle inspected. Because the rules are that you can only put in a same year or newer powertrain when you do a swap - as mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter if it passes the Ranger emission test, it matters that it is 2 years older. So, if you have an inspection process, you will most likely be screwed. The reason I say most likely is that the guys who work at those inspection stations are not the brightest bulbs on the tree, and if they see pretty much what they are told to see, they may pass it - for example, when I put a 5.0 Mustang V8 in a RX7, I made sure that the exhaust layout had cats in roughly the same area as the original RX7 did. When I took it to the emission station, they looked for cats and found them, they looked for an air pump and found it, and ran it on the dyno and passed it even though the engine in there looked nothing like the original engine. That car did not have obd2. On an obd2 vehicle with an engine change, I would suggest disabling the obd2 port via a switch so they cannot plug it in to read the vin. In our area they will find the vin on the vehicle and enter it manually and then run it on the dyno and you could still be okay. So you are taking a risk but you might get away with it.

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Very aware of the year difference in that regard. Should not be an issue where I am located. Can cross that bridge down the road if needed.

starkey.rayl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So found a bumper and ordered it. Ordered Monday. Showed up today and got it installed. Was planned down the road but just happened to find it at a decent price.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals