• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Ford Ranger Ticking Noise on Bottom End

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This form has helped me in the past and I would appreciate any help with this issue.

I recently spent 2k on changing my timing chain, timing chain cover, water pump, fan, and fan clutch.

The next day I noticed a faint ticking noise coming form the bottom end of the motor. It is hard to hear from under the hood ... but when you listen from the front wheel wells or under the truck it is quite clear.

I posted a YouTube video of the noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9I2h31_TA

This is the first time that I have heard this clicking/ticking noise. It seem to not be there until the motor gets warm and then I can only hear it when it is idling. I believe it is still there and follows the rpm of the motor I just can't hear it over the motor when I step on the gas.

I thought it might be the wrong oil that the shop put in it that was effecting the lifters causing them to knock so I when right away and got a Pennzoil high mileage oil change and there was no luck....the ticking was still there.

I am not sure if this is a Lifter Tick, Rod knock, or an issue with the new timing chain that was just installed. I don't really trust taking it back to the same mechanic because they would never admit if they had done something wrong. At this point I am just trying to figure out what it is and is it serious.

This a beautiful One Owner, Garage kept Ranger that has always been well maintained .... and I want it to run forever!

JZ

Oh yeah I have a..
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 Offroad 3.0 V6 Flex Fuel Motor ( 196,000 Miles )

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome back to TRS :)

"ticking" could never describe a connecting rod noise, wouldn't even occur to you to use that word, so first impressions are important, trust your ears/gut

What I would do is to remove fan belt from crank pulley on COLD engine, COLD engine

You can run the engine with no water pump and alternator for 2 minutes, but only 2 minutes.

Spin each pulley manually, you are checking for looseness or wobbles, also a "tick" noise, idler and tensioner pulleys can make "tick" noise

Start engine, you will be very surprised on how quiet engine bay is now with no Fan, lol.
Listen for the "tick", yes I read the part about only hearing it when engine warms up, but this is just a FREE test you can do to eliminate things.

Listen for the "tick", could be the start of exhaust manifold leak if you hear it better thru wheel well.

I use a longer length of Vacuum hose as a stethoscope to get into tight areas

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
"I don't really trust taking it back to the same mechanic because they would never admit if they had done something wrong. At this point I am just trying to figure out what it is and is it serious. "

Take it back! You trusted them to do the work and enough to drop 2K

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

Thanks RonD and Denisefwd93.

I took your advice and took it back to my main mechanic. They took the belt off and ran some tests. They think some noise is coming from the tensioner pulley. However, the main ticking noise that I hear wasn't "Ticking" at that time.

They put the belt back on and I drove around the block and when I got back it was making it again. The mechanic got under the truck and was pretty certain it was not a motor noise or the Pully. So that is good news. However, he thinks its coming from the Flywheel Area.

His advice was to wait until it got worse. I am not sure if that is great advice or not. I have always dealt with things before they got worse so that it would hurt or damage other parts. So I am still not sure what it is and I am not sure what the next step is.

If it is something that is going to cost a lot to repair....I'm not sure how much more I can spend on my Ranger. It's 20 years old with almost 200k miles on it. Mind you it is in beautiful condition. The interior looks new....everything is stock and looks new. I bought it from a guy who bought it new 20 years ago...so its a one owner. I run ethanol in it since its a Flex Fuel Ranger which I really like and works well. It has been a good little 4X4 truck ....everything works on it and I would like to get another 100k miles out of it.

Thanks Again.

uksparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My thoughts after watching video .... The ticking is half engine speed...top end camshaft/lifters....or it could be tappet or lifter .. i have seen the groove in a tappet made by valve stem, when the valve opens the valve stem clicks off the groove/lip......... only way to be 100% is by pulling the valve cover and put a feeler gauge in there when at idle.... i wouldn't worry about it..

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

So I broke down today and my Ranger is at the Ford Dealership. !! :(

I started the Truck this morning and as soon as I put it in gear it started lurching and shaking violently at low RPMs taking off!

I was just down the road from the Ford Dealer so I took it there and they ran a diagnostics.

It turns out that I lost an injector and there is something wrong with cylinder 4 ... no compression. They say the shaking was from the motor not running on all cylinders. They also said that they will have to replace the injector to do more testing. So they are changing all 6 injectors and doing a tuneup. All for the cost of 1200$ more dollars ...sigh. They said the truck is so clean it would be a shame not to fix it. I agree ....but ....how much more does one spend! I love my Ranger ...but this is a lot of money and shop time! It just makes me question is reliability at this point. The Ford guys told me I CAN trust it....its a good truck these things are part of regular maintenance.

They said that the ticking noise could have been from one of the cylinders not working and just pushing air making that ticking noise or the injector making the noise.... but they haven't heard it since they just stated working on it...so really its just speculation. They could change all the injectors and it still be ticking ...then we will have to see what that could be. sigh ...sigh ...sigh. OR maybe this will fix the issue.

I will update you as soon as I know!

Thanks Again for the replies!

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Why the hell are they changing all 6 injectors if only one was bad. As far as I am concerned the stealership was the worst place to bring it.

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
They said that the labour was the same if I change one or all six. They gave me the choice. I decided that since one went ...they should just put all new ones in. It my be a mistake but .....if one failed then another could fail ...and since they are already in there ....I figured they should change them all. That was my choice. I don't know anymore what the right choices are..:(

When I get it back Friday I have to decide whether to keep it or sell it and buy a new truck. I need something reliable.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I don't know. I probably would have just changed the only bad one being they still had to figure out the no compression issue on the cylinder. I just feel it is throwing away money and that is the way the service department should have laid it out to you. If it needs heads redone and you end up selling the truck you will be out the extra money on the injectors that you could have used towards a new truck. I not being a dick or anything just giving a different point of view.

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are right.....I like to do things right and it sounded like a chance to get everything new in that area.....I most likely just threw away money ..... I have been loosing sleep over this as of late. I no longer know what to do. I guess we wait and see what the final result is . I hate this.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I hope it works out for you. You might get lucky and maybe the injector broke and was dumping fuel and just washed the rings out. I have had this problem and caught very soon. I dumped some oil down that cylinder and everything was fine after that.

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's exactly what the ford mechanic said he may have to do...I will post updates when I know more. I hope it fixes that ticking too. I have changed so much stuff I almost have a new ranger ....hahah thanks again

jzaffis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Update

So $1377.00 and 6 new injectors later ....I am back running....however it did NOT fix the ticking noise! So ....I still have an issue that is not resolved. At this point I am just going to ignore it ....frankly..I am out of money! I have over 7k total investment in this ranger and I doubt I could get my money back out of it. Sigh ....well go figure that the ticking and the failed injectors would be related! I am at a loss :(

Thanks for all the help!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
So $1377.00 and 6 new injectors later ....I am back running....however it did NOT fix the ticking noise! So ....I still have an issue that is not resolved. At this point I am just going to ignore it ....frankly..I am out of money! I have over 7k total investment in this ranger and I doubt I could get my money back out of it. Sigh ....well go figure that the ticking and the failed injectors would be related! I am at a loss :(

Thanks for all the help!
So they lied to you and you paid anyhow.
Good luck

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
First lemme say, atleast IMO, it sounds like you really like this truck. Vehicles are a horrible thing to "invest" in, so i say dont worry about the value of the vehicle, if the repair is worth it to YOU, then thats what counts. People think im crazy for dumping the money i do into my rusty old turd, but, its worth it to me.

Ok, now....

My phone speaker sucks royally, but that ticking noise to me sounds like a simple exhaust leak. Possibly a donut leaking, or cracked exhaust manifold. Neither are really any cause for immediate concern.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals