• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 FORD RANGER 3.0 XLT 4X4 COOLANT/HEATING PROBLEM

JONNY246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER SUPERCAB
Transmission
Automatic
About a month ago I decided to change coolant in radiator, I flushed out system until water was basically clear I did use a product from auto part store for flushing systems . I refilled it with new coolant a week later temp gauge was going up and down and very little heat. After turning off engine I heard gurgling sounds from the overflow tank and the cover blew open coolant everywhere. Coolant was'nt hot it was luke warm top hose was cold . I was told there could be air in the system purged air out no change . So I ended up buying a new radiator/new thermostat problem corrected. Last week back to the same problem no heat temp gauge works when it wants to doesnt overheat. top hose not hot barely warm. There are no leaks I can see checked, the oil looks fine dosent look like baby shit no smell of antifreeze exhust is normal just condensation while warming up no antifreeze. I did change the spark plugs it was needed they were fine for being in the truck for 3yrs or more. I seriously at a loss over this dont know what else could be wrong all I can figure is the themo is defective even being brand new but what are the chances of that? Sorry for the long story just wanted to explain everything. Any help on this matter would be appreciated thanks

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have moved this to the 3.0 engine discussion forum where it will get better exposure.

JONNY246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER SUPERCAB
Transmission
Automatic

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Hmm... You say the temp gauge is moving rapidly between hot/cold? If the upper rad hose is not getting piping hot, that would say something is up with the thermostat. However you replaced that. Silly question but did you insert the thermostat in the correct orientation? If I remember right it should be the spring side of the t-stat goes toward the block. My other thought would be you have a blockage somewhere. If you have replaced the radiator and the t-stat, one other place to look might be your heater core.

If its none of that I would check for exhaust gas getting in the coolant. That would explain coolant blowing out of the overflow tank. Easy way to check this is the glove test. Take a latex glove and seal it over where the radiator cap goes. You can pull the fuel relay so the engine won't start or you can have the pedal to the floor to simulate a flooded engine clearout condition. In either case you don't want the engine to start when you do this. Once the glove is in place and the engine won't start go ahead and turn it over. If you see the glove inflate or start to dance you have exhaust gas getting in coolant.

JONNY246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER SUPERCAB
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Guanfy I will def try this I let you know whats up thanks again

JONNY246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER SUPERCAB
Transmission
Automatic
Thermostat was stuck opened was replaced, Never thought a brand new themo would be defective 1st time for that. Also replaced coolant, couple days later noticed white smoke at start up would disappeared after hitting operating temp it doesnt overheat after stopping shutting it off say 10 min white smoke appears again and can smell anitfreeze again after warm up smoke disappears. Still has air bubbles in overflow tank after shutdown there is a little coolant loss in radiator show no leaks of coolant anywhere brand new radiator. When opening radiator cap not running all night lot of pressure and more air bubbles in overflow have heat not real good also noticed a brown color film on radiator cap truck was flushed out and coolant once again smells like exhust fumes I was told most likely its a blown head gasket and will get worse was told to put stop leak in there to give me more time replacement motors hard to come by up here from a scrap yard repair cost $600-$950 around here I am not a mechanic and wont mess around with something like that one screw up and your done any advice thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
try posting your approximate location. there are members who have 3.0s laying around taking up space.

some can be bribed with pizza and/or beer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals