• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ford ranger 2wd 5.0 swap transmission options

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Ive just purchased a 1999 ranger single cab with a blown 2.5l ( melted a piston) and purchased a 1998 explorer 5.0 awd . I plan on swaping in the rear end. but my question is what are the transmission options? I want to keep it 2wd and manual. Just need info on what transmission from what year f150 that's 2wd and clutch info and flywheel and which starter I need. From what I hear there is a trans from an f150 v6 that lines up with the stock crossmember, can run the stock driveshaft, and some drilling with bolt to the 5.0 is that correct?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think after 1996 the f150 had a 4.2 v6 that had the 302 bellhousing pattern. You could also see if you could use a 5 speed out of a older mustang. Might be in the tech library on here what transmission would fit and what it would take to make it work.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the 302 would be the standard small block Ford bellhousings…

At least the 92-96 F-150 would have the M5OD manual transmission, it’s a little different from the one that’s likely in the Ranger, but not by much. Not sure what all years had it. My 95 did until I yanked it in favor of a ZF5, which was a very worthy upgrade for me since it gave me a granny first and kept overdrive, but that’s a beefy trans, not sure how well it would fit in a Ranger. M5OD should fit alright though. Some of the F-150s had 4 speed manuals, don’t know anything about those. ZF5 was only in F-250 and bigger unless someone swapped it like me, lol.

Use the F-150 clutch, pressure plate, and slave. Don’t know for sure if the truck flywheel will bolt the the Explorer crank though. The Ranger master cylinder and line may or may not be compatible, worth a shot though.

You are going to have a problem with the computer though, it’s going to be looking for the auto trans. Not sure what to suggest there because I don’t know if there was any manual trans 302 Explorers. Don’t know if there’s any way to modify that part of the computer either.

There’s probably other options, but, that’s what I know

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
So im thinkin im looking for a M5R2 in 2wd. I think with some drilling of the bell housing bolt holes. Now like yall said im not sure what fly wheel that will bolt to the 5.0 crank. and clutch and starter to match the flywheel. Im fairly certain that the slave quick connect is the same as the ranger. There has got to be someone thats done this? as far as the ecm looking for gears cant i just use the autos PRND switch and just leave in in park or neutral and zipp tie it out of the way. Im not worried about check engine lights or smogg or anything like that.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So im thinkin im looking for a M5R2 in 2wd. I think with some drilling of the bell housing bolt holes. Now like yall said im not sure what fly wheel that will bolt to the 5.0 crank. and clutch and starter to match the flywheel. Im fairly certain that the slave quick connect is the same as the ranger. There has got to be someone thats done this? as far as the ecm looking for gears cant i just use the autos PRND switch and just leave in in park or neutral and zipp tie it out of the way. Im not worried about check engine lights or smogg or anything like that.
I wouldn’t think you would have to drill any holes, small block bellhousing was the 4.9, 5.0 and some 351. They didn’t use a different block for the Explorer, it was still a 302/5.0 block. I don’t know if the cranks have the same bolt pattern though, I know I’ve run into that before with different year 4.0 motors that there are two different crank bolt patterns.

I’m fairly certain you are correct that they use the same quick connector for the slave. I just haven’t been under my manuals in awhile, been working on one of my autos.

I know with the older computers, pre OBD2, you could use an auto computer on a manual, you just got a high idle and it was always complaining it couldn’t see the transmission. I’m not sure how integrated things are with OBD2, it could put you in limp mode or something, not sure what it would do with seeing movement while in park…

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
All you have to do is click on the tech section up above, and read about 302 swaps. Going from my memory reading those articles, yes you can use the f150 setup in the ranger, but the trucks use a larger diameter flywheel and thus a larger bellhousing, even though it still bolts to the same 302 pattern. So from I what I remember, you almost have to use a body lift for that to fit. It said the cars used a smaller diameter flywheel, and a smaller bell that fits better.

If getting the 302 to fit on a v6 cologne bellhousing was just a matter of drilling some holes, I would think someone would have discovered that a long time ago. But new discoveries are made everyday, so try it and see what happens.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you haven't done the swap and don't therefore don't know the correct answer, don't give out wrong information :) And yes, some people at work have p!ssed me off doing same today and I'm having to fix that too.

@remington115: There are 5 versions of the M5OD-R2 for 2WDs: 2 are Super coupe and I know limited about them, the 4.6 one only bolts to modular engines, so won't work behind Explorer engine. The pre '97 version of the R2 bolts to 5.0 (it was found behind 302s in F-150s); it is slightly less desirable as it puts the shifter right against the dash. But as it was bolted to 302, it has 1/2" holes on the bellhousing so bolts right up. The '97 and later version is slightly more desirable as it puts the shifter in exactly same location as the M5OD-R1. But it was bolted to the 4.2 V-6 using 12mm bolts - which are 0.7mm too small for 1/2" bolts needed by Explorer V-8. So you need to ream (drill) out the holes for 1/2" bolts. Note: The bell housing is integral to the transmission - one size fits all.

I went with '96 F-150 302 flywheel/clutch/starter as all the pieces fit OEM. Mine is custom balanced for 331, but make sure you get the right one (28 vs 50 oz imbalance).

When you get the transmission, remember to get the dust shield - they aren't sold by Ford anymore and PIA to get after the fact. You will also need a 31 spline yoke for the driveshaft - the 25 spline one you have isn't going to fit. But the R2 and R1 transmissions are same length so swapping yokes (tell yourself opportunity to replace u-joints) is all that is required.

The clutch hose connects to the R2 without issue.

There weren't any manual transmissions sold with V-8 Explorer, so you will need to adjust wiring to connect the transmission and you will need to have a tuner remove the automatic functions (and check engine light) from the computer.

If you have other questions, please ask.

p.s. If you want to got with T-5 out of Mustang. a. you will need to rig up a external slave cylinder to replace the cable solution. b. The shifter is right against seat - you will have to cut out floor to fit and maybe center seat if short legged/using 60/40 seat. The solution to that is to get the tail housing from an S-10 and swap it in. That puts shifter back in OEM location.

I like the 3.91 1st gear of M5OD-R2 as I use my truck as truck occasionally, while T-5s for V-8s are 2.95 and don't cut it for towing (but the T-5 shifts better for a "sports" truck).

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
yes yes yes this is info i needed!!! thanks so much @don4331 as far as balanced flywheel im kinda lost on this how would i know what one to get/ or get a costom balance? and also a tuner( do you know anyone) would i have to get the pcm sent out or get a sct or some kinda of obd2 tuner, or chip.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
'81 and newer 5.0s use 50oz-in. unbalance; so, the '96 F-150 flywheel works fine on stock engine/damper.

SCT was what I used to tune out the auto; remember, I was also tuning for increased displacement, hotter cam, aluminium heads, headers. We've lost many of the old timers who did this 10 years ago, but just about every major center has tuner who can do this (if they can't, you really don't want them messing with your computer0.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
Ohhh ok sweet thanks @don4331 I also have done some work with HP tunners I gunna find out what I can do with that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals