• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) 1999 Ford Ranger 2.5 crank no start

Danger_ranger417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone, so I acquired a 1999 ranger in a trade, it ran well for about a month. I drove to the store and came home, made the incredibly stupid mistake of wiring aftermarket floor lights to the cigar lighter. As soon as I tried to start the truck after inserting the wires I would get a crank but no start. From there I found that my fuel system was not getting power. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump assembly, and the battery. Same thing crank but no start. The truck would fire on ether in the intake but only for a second or two. I was able to get the fuel pump to run, by wiring a toggle switch at the inertia switch, however my injectors still do not get power. This is my only vehicle right now and I’ve missed a week at work already. Could anyone please help me fix the mess I’m in? Thank you

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

When wiring and then having a problem afterwards chances are you blew a fuse
But because you have changed all those parts and done more wiring its going to be hard to diagnose what the problem is now

So I guess you start at the beginning
When you turn the key ON, the CEL(check engine light) should come on, if not then Computer is not on

If no CEL check fuse 8 and 9 in Engine Bay fuse box, also fuse 19 in CAB fuse box, and I mean check them with an OHM meter, not just "look" at them
"looks good to me" is fine for chicks, but doesn't mean they are good :)

If CEL comes on with Key On, then crank engine over and watch the CEL, it should go OFF when cranking, that means computer is on and is seeing the timing pulse from Crank Sensor, so spark and injectors will be on

Fuse 8 above powers the fuel injectors and the computer both

If 50/50 test(adding fuel manual to intake) got engine to start then spark is working so CEL should have come on and then went off when cranking
So injectors would also be working, they just need fuel pressure

On the engine's fuel rail is a schrader valve, looks like a tires air valve, should have a cap on it
That's where you can test fuel pressure, it works just like a tires air valve, press on the center pin to release pressure
If you don't have a pressure gauge you can CAREFULLY press the pin, there should be 55-60psi pressure in there, so BE CAREFUL!
If there is no pressure cycle the key on and off a few times and retest
If still no pressure then "new" pump is bad, or new filter is completely blocked
A pump can "run" and not pump fuel

Danger_ranger417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So for the sake of testing should I rewire the pump back to the way it was? Also when I manually turn the pump on I get fuel pressure, before changing the pump I had zero PSI. When I checked the valve yesterday gasoline sprayed out pretty forcefully. Also since I do not have a volt meter would I be able to borrow fuses from somewhere else to get me to the parts shop to buy more?

Danger_ranger417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I also think the bulb to the check engine light may be burned out. Even when I turn the key to on only my battery, brake, and one other light come on. But this happened when the truck ran too. The person I got the truck from seemed to not really know what he was doing and there is some questionable wiring in certain places

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals