• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 Explorer 5.0

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello,
I’m going to be going with a friend of mine to look at a ‘99 explorer sometime soon. It’s a V8 automatic 2wd car. I don’t know much about the explorers and I’m wondering if there is anything specific to this vehicle that I should check for?
I know all the regular stuff to look for and I’m not expecting a perfect car at 190k but are there any specific flaws to look for in these cars?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
2 wheel drive is rare from what I've seen, they're mostly all wheel drive, doesn't say that anywhere on the interior or exterior (I have a '97 Mountaineer V8, '98 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 and '00 Explorer Limited V8) other than the Eddie Bauer has a switch for the air suspension height on the dash...

Depends on what you are wanting from the rig, is it a parts rig or a driver? I obtained my 3 at 212k or thereabouts each (somehow they were all close when I got them) and the '00 was beat to DEATH, transmission was worthless since I put $1100 in parts in it... it's engine is tired but still runs good, just not as good as the '98,

On the transmission they came with the 4R70W which is a good transmission, just check the fluid color and smell, but if it's a parts rig I'd have it gone through for good measure. Take a way to pull codes if you can, a common one seems to be front drivers side oxygen sensor, I think because it is by the front driveshaft (I say that because the two Explorers have had that code, mountaineer is a true parts rig for a spare engine and transmission, it is partially disassembled)

EvanCole45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger GT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That’s good advice but it was for a friend I was just going to check it out with him because he doesn’t know much about cars. He wanted it as a driver but we didn’t end up ever looking at it because the seller was too flaky.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They are decent drivers assuming they are in reasonable shape... they might weigh 5000 pounds but they get up and go, and the 4R70W pretty much does what I want... my '00 got 16ish miles per gallon combined going to work, little better than 18mpg if mostly highway and few stops. The '98 I got on a whim for spare drivetrain at an auction for $400, then the wife started driving it and claimed it a couple years ago...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals