• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 5.0 PROTOTYPE

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
It seems a 1999 Ford Ranger with a 5.0 has fallen into a friends hands with a mysterious state assigned vin, the DMV says the vehicle was a factory prototype and has no factory VIN. He called all around Ford until he spoke to someone in SVT area who said the vehicle kind of slipped out? He continued to give some details like a Mazda Grille and a few other oddities that match this vehicle. I have seen a few mentions on the internet, but we are trying to figure out what he has here.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It seems a 1999 Ford Ranger with a 5.0 has fallen into a friends hands with a mysterious state assigned vin, the DMV says the vehicle was a factory prototype and has no factory VIN. He called all around Ford until he spoke to someone in SVT area who said the vehicle kind of slipped out? He continued to give some details like a Mazda Grille and a few other oddities that match this vehicle. I have seen a few mentions on the internet, but we are trying to figure out what he has here.
If it is a SVT prototype that escaped, stop talking about it. Ford will try to get it back and crush it.

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Guys what I am hoping for here is people who have actual useful info to verify what he has, it's been 20 years I don't own it, Ford can't lay any claims to it they have no vin number LOL! Please don't turn this into one of those threads. If you have any legit assistance to offer it is welcomed. He just seem to figure it all out.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea ford never sold a 5.0 ranger. If you have one. It's stolen. That's a fact lol. So it's either not a factory 5.0 or its stolen bottom line. Ford had a few ranger prototypes that went "missing" over the years. They tracked them down and destroyed them... If you wanna keep it do what @snoranger said and delete this thread.

There was no "slipping through the cracks". They were stolen. Ford has better lawyers than you.

Last edited:

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
I can see where this going 5 4 3 2 1

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
lol, no won't go there

There have been a few Factory Ranger V8s made over the years

Last one is here, done in 2002: https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/ford-svt-lightning-bolt-ranger/

But there were earlier ones, they did a few in 1996 when they were adding the V8 to the Explorers: https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-ranger-svt-v8/

I think one of these caught fire and that was the end of that idea for the Ranger, but Explorer still got it
But I did see one for sale a while ago, that said it was a Ranger SVT V8

There were a few Dealers that did custom Ranger V8s, and sold them, but they would have a VIN, just a Changed/Custom VIN since engine digit wouldn't match stock Ranger VINs

The Mazda Grill is an oddity :)

And No VIN????
So can't be driven on the road?

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Guys what I am hoping for here is people who have actual useful info to verify what he has, it's been 20 years I don't own it, Ford can't lay any claims to it they have no vin number LOL! Please don't turn this into one of those threads. If you have any legit assistance to offer it is welcomed. He just seem to figure it all out.
Ford can lay claim if it was “stolen”... They’ve done it before. I just posted a heads up.
I can’t see Ford putting a 5.0 in a ‘99, Knowing that they weren’t going to be producing the 5.0 much longer. It would be a waste of resources. By ‘99 they would have already been contemplating a 4.6l in a Ranger.
Post a pic of the engine bay, so we can see how “factory” it looks.

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER

Like I said it has a state assigned VIN ( I assume someone here understands what that is) and he has a clear title in his name so it can be sold, the guy says it appears to have been factory built. He is just trying to figure out what he has, it was purchased in a police auction he does want to sell it so PM me if interested I won't post his phone number. He is just a car guy who wound up with it from a old man who was giving up driving and the hobby. It could be custom built, but it is a neat truck I think we all can agree! I noticed something the Ford Emblem on the tailgate says Freak! Now I am starting to think it was a custom build, but the guy is not sure. No one is trying to deceive here, he is a good guy.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Well I just ruined his day, LOL! He does want to sell it.

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
View attachment 35444
Like I said it has a state assigned VIN ( I assume someone here understands what that is) and he has a clear title in his name so it can be sold, the guy says it appears to have been factory built. He is just trying to figure out what he has, it was purchased in a police auction he does want to sell it so PM me if interested I won't post his phone number. He is just a car guy who wound up with it from a old man who was giving up driving and the hobby. It could be custom built, but it is a neat truck I think we all can agree! I noticed something the Ford Emblem on the tailgate says Freak! Now I am starting to think it was a custom build, but the guy is not sure. No one is trying to deceive here, he is a good guy.
yep that is a Mazda B Series all day. That has had the logos changed. In fact I think I have seen that one before.

RANG5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
I wish I had seen the photos before I even started the inquiries, I agree a well done at the time custom build on a Mazda Body

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And rare............................haven't seen a Mazda B-series V8 before, I am sure its been done just don't see them :)

I would see if he can find/make a Mazda B5000 badge and drop the Ranger SVT

Or find a 5.0l badge to replace it, loads of different 5.0l badges out there, google: ford 5.0l badge images

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Looking around and came across this.. it was a.drug seized truck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its a Mazda B-series 5.0l conversion, not a Ranger at all

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals