• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 3.0 Misery

toadboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up 99 Ranger 3.0, reg cab, 4x4 automatic the other day. 90K miles and it looks pretty good. It ran rough, and the transmission shifted poorly, and there were no dash lights to the 4x4, and no transfer case response. I suspect the GEM is bad, as there are other electrical indicators, i.e. no wipers, no dash lights. I ran a can of sea foam thru the engine and it smoothed out and ran great. For a few minutes. I found a blown 30 amp fuse in the power distribution block under the hood. Replaced the fuse, hit the key and the fuse blew immediately. AND now the truck won't start. That's where I left it tonight. I will have to figure out why it won't start tomorrow?

Any suggestions as to where to start would be greatly appreciated. I suspect I may have activated the anti-theft somehow? But tomorrow is another day!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are a few 30amp fuses in engine compartment fuse box

Get owners manual here and see what fuse is blowing: https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-technical-electrical-18/ford-ranger-owner-manuals-1996-2011-models-3747/

Yes, in 1999 Rangers the GEM is the 4x4 control but it may not be getting power
Speedometer also wouldn't work if GEM was off-line
But engine would start and run without GEM

Fuse #8 is 30amp, it is the PCM fuse, it powers PCM(computer), coil, injectors, several sensors and controls, and the fuel pump relay(not the fuel pump)
So engine would not start if this fuse blew

Have you plugged in any loose wires?
Previous owner may have unplugged wires to stop fuse from blowing

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals