• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 2WD 2.5L 5 speed manual (M5OD-R1) stuck in 4th gear

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its not a hard trans to tear down by any stretch.

But if you can get a whole trans cheap that may be the way to go. You will probably have less into a whole unit from a U-pull yard than into buying just the pieces you need new.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are some specialized tools needed and at least one bearing needs to be pressed in.

Used M5OD-R1 is not a bad gamble, contrary your current experience, lol

But..............M5OD-R1 is a model number not what it fits
An M5OD-R1 from a 3.0l engine will not work with your 2.5l, nor would one from a 4.0l engine

Fortunately your 2.5l SOHC Lima engine is a stroked 2.3l SOHC Lima so they share same block and transmission
Rangers used the 2.3l Lima with M5OD-R1 from 1988 to 1997, then with the 2.5l from 1998-2001(mid-year)
In 2001.5(mid year) Ford switch to the 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine, no relation to Lima, so trans from this engine will not fit your engine

Most 1988 to 2001 M5OD-R1 from 2.3l or 2.5l Ranger will be 2WD transmission, 4WD transmission is different, it can be converted but best to just used 2WD trans

1994-1997 Mazda B2300 2WD used same transmission, as did the 1998-2001 Mazda B2500

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you can find one from a 3.0 2wd you can just throw all the guts into your 4-cyl case. Not that hard to do.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dang it. You can replace whatever is broken inside yours but you need all those parts plus a bearing kit - probably cheaper and a whole lot easier to find a junkyard or rebuilt trans.

FWIW you do not need a press unless you're removing gears from the shafts they're on - not necessary usually. The bearing Ron is talking about can be pushed on with a piece of pipe and a hammer. I have a press and did not use it when I rebuilt mine. You do need a 55mm or 2-3/16 wrench or a big pipe wrench to tighten the output shaft nut, a depth measuring caliper and feeler gauges. It's pretty straightforward.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Judging by those pictures, I'd say he has a gear to press off/on.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Dang it. You can replace whatever is broken inside yours but you need all those parts plus a bearing kit - probably cheaper and a whole lot easier to find a junkyard or rebuilt trans.

FWIW you do not need a press unless you're removing gears from the shafts they're on - not necessary usually. The bearing Ron is talking about can be pushed on with a piece of pipe and a hammer. I have a press and did not use it when I rebuilt mine. You do need a 55mm or 2-3/16 wrench or a big pipe wrench to tighten the output shaft nut, a depth measuring caliper and feeler gauges. It's pretty straightforward.
I think I am probably going to go the replacement route after pricing some parts. There is an LKQ - pick-your-part place about an hour from me and they have a manual transmission listed at $100 + $30 core charge. I also might hold onto the old transmission in case I need extra parts. All of the other gears look decent but when I drained the fluid out there was very little that came out and it was very black so not sure.

What would have caused the input shaft gear to be destroyed like this? I know that the prev owner replaced the clutch himself, would incorrect installation have contributed to it?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think I am probably going to go the replacement route after pricing some parts. There is an LKQ - pick-your-part place about an hour from me and they have a manual transmission listed at $100 + $30 core charge. I also might hold onto the old transmission in case I need extra parts. All of the other gears look decent but when I drained the fluid out there was very little that came out and it was very black so not sure.

What would have caused the input shaft gear to be destroyed like this? I know that the prev owner replaced the clutch himself, would incorrect installation have contributed to it?
The low fluid is the culprit.

That gear is hooked right onto the engine, if it starts to overheat and its gonna start losing teeth. And it doesn't get well lubed when the fluid is low. That's what that little trough is for, it catches fluid splashed or flung up against the top of the case and directs is to the input gear. If the fluid is low, or not splashing, it has nothing to work with and can't get the needed fluid to the gear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Or the wrong fluid
M5OD uses ATF, yes automatic transmission fluid in a manual transmission
A shop or DIYer might use Gear Oil which was used for 100 years in manual transmission and differentials
Its too thick and won't lube/splash upper input gear

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The low fluid is the culprit.

That gear is hooked right onto the engine, if it starts to overheat and its gonna start losing teeth. And it doesn't get well lubed when the fluid is low. That's what that little trough is for, it catches fluid splashed or flung up against the top of the case and directs is to the input gear. If the fluid is low, or not splashing, it has nothing to work with and can't get the needed fluid to the gear.
That all makes sense then, it's a shame that they ran it out of oil. I certainly won't be making that mistake. The new tranny is going to be treated right. (y)

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That all makes sense then, it's a shame that they ran it out of oil. I certainly won't be making that mistake. The new tranny is going to be treated right. (y)
Yeah, this whole thing reminded me, my B2 has been shifting like it might be low. I should check on it this week.

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So things at the junk yard didn’t go as well as planned. The trans that is in the truck there is held in by two frozen, very rounded off bolts. I fought for a day and a half on it...unfortunately limited power tools there and no torches allowed.

Now I’m on to plan B. I did find a 1995 trans with 130k miles on EBay about 2 hrs from me for $150.

Other option, I found this item on EBay as well.

Attachments

jpark6491

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What website/source does everyone get their transmission parts from? I was just looking a few and Cobra Transmissions seems like they had some quality parts and customer service.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What website/source does everyone get their transmission parts from? I was just looking a few and Cobra Transmissions seems like they had some quality parts and customer service.
I use Cobra for pretty much anything transmission related, unless they don't have it. Haven't had a bad experience yet.

I'm getting read to rebuild my own M5OD, just waiting for space in the garage to do the work, and I plan to order my bearing and synchro kit from them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals