• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 230K 4L 4x Rear metallic clicking or bang noise during acceleration or takeoff.

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dead stop. Hit gas moderately to hard, BANG BANG BANG like metal bolts are snapping clean off. It doesn't sound good. If i baby it off the stop it doesnt make any noise.

At no point does anything appear to be physically wrong. I can feel the clicking in general, but its not like its in the pedal or anything. Fairly sure its in the rear end, maybe broken brakes although I did a full brake job 3 years ago...

I've had this truck for over 100k miles, done all the work myself. Basically, the rear end is completely stock besides brake drums, shoes and hardware. And shocks.

About 4 years ago, I did a drain and fill on the rear diff. Added special limited slip compound.

I have been doing lots of research since I don't have access to a shop until saturday, but without even looking at I'm thinking it might be the limited slip clutch packs worn so bad that they make this noise. It appears to be a known issue with limited slip rear ends. Think I'm close?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Limited slip won't do anything like that, especially not in a straight line.

I would suspect a u-joint over anything else from your description. Get under, grab the drive shaft and try rocking it around in all directions. Do that at both ends.

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I doubt it's the shaft, because I check it every oil change. It's stock as far as I know, but it's never felt loose by any means.. I've seen so many u-joints go bad with 1/4 the mileage as mine and i even have 2" of lift. Build Ford tough man.

I'll definitely check it though. And like I said, I have never had any issues with the rear end at all, even when I changed the fluid at 160K miles it was clean inside and the metal magnet wasn't even very dirty. It hasn't leaked a drop since either.

Last edited:

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
trader my u-joints went bad and did exactly what yours is doin and my driveshaft wouldnt even move when i checked then a week later it went

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Drive it till the U-joints fall out just to be sure... that's what I like to do.

(also could be the driveshaft is bent.... mine did that same thing then once also and no matter how hard you shake it the U-Joints wont rattle, lol)

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys! i figured that could be possible, but i didnt know if it was likely. i suppose on saturday i will take the drive shaft off and replace the u joints. even if they appear good to me, which i doubt once i get to the bearings, i will replace them no matter what. quarter million miles, they did their job.

im pretty much at that point with this truck. anything that is original and is in any question of being OK, i just throw out and replace it. i figure only a few grand more and more then half the truck will be new :D

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
thanks guys! i figured that could be possible, but i didnt know if it was likely. i suppose on saturday i will take the drive shaft off and replace the u joints. even if they appear good to me, which i doubt once i get to the bearings, i will replace them no matter what. quarter million miles, they did their job.

im pretty much at that point with this truck. anything that is original and is in any question of being OK, i just throw out and replace it. i figure only a few grand more and more then half the truck will be new :D
Yeah, I'm at the same point on my 84 B2 which in fact will be a project no way around it, PO didn't do it any help.

Definitely look at your drive shaft's u-joints like other's have said, check your suspension components too that can cause some noise if those components are lose such as springs shocks, etc. Usually if you have an actual rear differential problem you will hear a howling noise rather than banging.

Its better to replace suspicious parts than ignore them and find out the hard way that you should have replaced them. I look at it as an insurance policy, if I know I put a new part it its most likely going to be ok, on these older vehicle's replacing old parts is pretty much the normal thing to do especially when you don't know if the PO ever did or not. I do the same thing with all of my fluids on a used vehicle immediately have them changed the first chance I get.

trader007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
success!

one bearing in the rear u joint was dry and stuck. the joint felt fine on the truck, but after i took it off it was obvious it only moved one way

new premium joints in, and it actually does feel smoother back there. i also tweaked my left torsion adjuster, because i was hitting bumps all crooked and weird. i could tell the left tire had no strength in the spring. i got just barely 1/8 turn but it made a huge difference. truck doesnt nosedive on that side now, but it has made the worn wheel bearing on the passanger side get real loud. so i guess next paycheck that is getting replaced...

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Yah, that was all the Rat needed was the rear U- joint.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals