• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 flex fuel

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger 3.0 FF engine code U and a 2000 3.0 engine code V both automatics 2 WD same two trucks options, the 98 FF already had engine and trans and all wiring removed from the engine compartment except PCM, i got absolutely nothing in eng comp except Heater A/C housing, I took everything out of eng comp,Engine trans all wiring vac lines A/C condenser, My question is can i take the 3.0 and trans out of the 2000 and put it including engine wiring harness and put it in the 98 FF, Can i use the wiring and all from the 2000,I think i have to change the injectors and FF PCM from the 98, the PCM is all i have no injectors, Andhow do you tell the difference between FF injectors and gas injectors by looking at them, are FF inj always GREEN ? is it a fact that all 3.0 and 4.0 v.6s made in 1998 are FF, none were made non Flex is that true, any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you very much !

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
VIN "U" is non-flex. All flex fuel 3.0s were VIN "V", so you need to confirm what you've actually got your hands on. A 98 FFV would've also had a flex fuel sensor on the frame rail under the cab, and a sticker on the inside of the fuel door about being flex fuel which might help figuring out what's there.
Do you want to use the flex fuel capability or not?
It sounds like you already know this, but the only differences between a flex fuel 3.0 engine and a non-flex fuel 3.0 are the injectors and PCM tuning. The truck chassis can have some fuel system differences as mentioned below.

3 basic possibilities:
1) If the 98 isn't actually a flex fuel truck, and you don't really care about using flex fuel capabilities, then just put everything into the truck and install injectors from a non-flex 3.0. This should be cheap and easy.
2) If the 98 is actually a flex fuel truck, then the 2000 powertrain should drop in with no problems. This should be cheap and easy.
3) If the 98 is not a flex fuel truck, and you want to use flex fuel capabilities, then you'd need the engine/trans/harness from the 2000, plus the PCM and the fuel system (lines, flex fuel sensor, etc) from the 2000. You may run into PATS issues due to the swapped PCM too.

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
VIN "U" is non-flex. All flex fuel 3.0s were VIN "V", so you need to confirm what you've actually got your hands on. A 98 FFV would've also had a flex fuel sensor on the frame rail under the cab, and a sticker on the inside of the fuel door about being flex fuel which might help figuring out what's there.
Do you want to use the flex fuel capability or not?
It sounds like you already know this, but the only differences between a flex fuel 3.0 engine and a non-flex fuel 3.0 are the injectors and PCM tuning. The truck chassis can have some fuel system differences as mentioned below.

3 basic possibilities:
1) If the 98 isn't actually a flex fuel truck, and you don't really care about using flex fuel capabilities, then just put everything into the truck and install injectors from a non-flex 3.0. This should be cheap and easy.
2) If the 98 is actually a flex fuel truck, then the 2000 powertrain should drop in with no problems. This should be cheap and easy.
3) If the 98 is not a flex fuel truck, and you want to use flex fuel capabilities, then you'd need the engine/trans/harness from the 2000, plus the PCM and the fuel system (lines, flex fuel sensor, etc) from the 2000. You may run into PATS issues due to the swapped PCM too.
Thank You very much stmitch for all of the info, so what would i have to do with the PATS, this 98 does not have PATS according to the ford dealer here in town, by PATS you mean a chipped key, if it helps at all it does have a anti theft system

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank You very much stmitch for all of the info, so what would i have to do with the PATS, this 98 does not have PATS according to the ford dealer here in town, by PATS you mean a chipped key, if it helps at all it does have a anti theft system
PATS stands for Passive Anti Theft System. It's my understanding that there's a chip in the key, matched to a module in the steering column and the PCM. All three pieces have to be programmed together in order to start the vehicle. I thought all V6 Rangers had PATS during that timeframe, but I could be wrong. If the 98 does indeed have PATS, it will only be an issue if you swap PCMs. If it's actually a flex fuel truck with a flex fuel PCM, then there's no reason to change the PCM. If it's not a flex fuel truck, and you don't care to retain the flex fuel capability, then there's no reason to change the PCM either (just the fuel injectors). The PCM should only need to be changed out if the 98 is not a flex fuel truck, and you do want to keep the flex fuel capability. That's where you might have PATS problems.

If you do swap PCMs and do run into PATS issues, the dealer can reprogram things (but you'll need to tow the truck in). Another option is having the PATS functions deleted with an aftermarket OBD tuner. These usually run around $400.

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
According to local ford dealer says that this truck does not have PATS according to VIN #,I called two days ago. but i thought that if you had anti theft sistem you had PATS,Is that true? thanks Again.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 doesn't have PATS and as far as I know, doesn't have anti-theft either.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals