• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 3.0 upper intake manifold

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
On another forum, a real perfectionist drilled and tapped those 2 coolant ports for 1/4" MIPS plumbing fittings, sweat-soldered 1/4" copper tubing stubs to fittings, teflon tape on threads, the whole 8.9 yards... MY plastic tee snapped off yesterday, and pumped half my coolant all over the engine bay, so I'm deleting that "side-show/shyt-show" ASAP! (Good thing FUEL fittings are made to a higher standard, eh? :eek: )

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought an '01 intake manifold & mustang throttle body to put on my 97. Im going to do a little port work & some epoxy/jb weld & clean up the throttle body area. It has the coolant passage on it & was just going to block them off, but then i got an idea, (uh oh, this usually snowballs into bad things, Lol) why not use them to cool the upper intake? My thought was to use or add a windshield washer tank & fill it with ice/water, hook a hose to one side from the pump & fab a return back to the tank from the other & circulate ice water thru it. Not sure how much it would cool the intake down, but it could be worth a few hp, would be simple/ almost free to do.

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought an '01 intake manifold & mustang throttle body to put on my 97. Im going to do a little port work & some epoxy/jb weld & clean up the throttle body area. It has the coolant passage on it & was just going to block them off, but then i got an idea, (uh oh, this usually snowballs into bad things, Lol) why not use them to cool the upper intake? My thought was to use or add a windshield washer tank & fill it with ice/water, hook a hose to one side from the pump & fab a return back to the tank from the other & circulate ice water thru it. Not sure how much it would cool the intake down, but it could be worth a few hp, would be simple/ almost free to do.
I thought about doing that exact thing, but going one step further. Mounting a transmission cooler or motorcycle oil cooler, such as Derail, up front. It would be very similar to the intercooler routing on my Lightning. Fluid from tank is pulled out via pump, goes through the cooler mounted up front, then into the manifold, then back to the tank. I don't know how large the fluid reservoir is in the manifold, how far it spreads out from the two hose fittings. Knowing that would determine how effective it would be at cooling the manifold. Even with a hood scoop sitting overtop the manifold, and a bunch of 1.5 holes under it, the manifold still gets pretty hot. Maybe not as hot as it used to, especially in the winter, but it still gets warm.

Attachments

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about doing that exact thing, but going one step further. Mounting a transmission cooler or motorcycle oil cooler, such as Derail, up front. It would be very similar to the intercooler routing on my Lightning. Fluid from tank is pulled out via pump, goes through the cooler mounted up front, then into the manifold, then back to the tank. I don't know how large the fluid reservoir is in the manifold, how far it spreads out from the two hose fittings. Knowing that would determine how effective it would be at cooling the manifold. Even with a hood scoop sitting overtop the manifold, and a bunch of 1.5 holes under it, the manifold still gets pretty hot. Maybe not as hot as it used to, especially in the winter, but it still gets warm.
Ive been doing some port/polish work on a '01 upper & lower intake, it looks like the water only circulates around the t-body area. Once i get done with the intake(s) i am going to temp it up off my existing washer tank & see if i can feel any temperature difference on the intake with ice water running thru it.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is probably a better difference if you replace the metal intake on the 98 - 00 with a plastic ones off the trucks after 2000. The metal intake on my 3.0 Ranger gets hot, even with a scoop over it. The plastic intake on my 07 Mustang doesn't get hot enough you can feel it. I just don't know if the plastic upper intakes on the 2001 and later models will fit on the 98 - 00. If they do, I may just go that route.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
There is probably a better difference if you replace the metal intake on the 98 - 00 with a plastic ones off the trucks after 2000. The metal intake on my 3.0 Ranger gets hot, even with a scoop over it. The plastic intake on my 07 Mustang doesn't get hot enough you can feel it. I just don't know if the plastic upper intakes on the 2001 and later models will fit on the 98 - 00. If they do, I may just go that route.
They will fit. But the throttle cable & other things may take some finessing to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals