• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 2.5l dies and won't restart

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
About a month ago my 1998 2.5l Ranger just died on the road. Running fine, it just stopped. Got it parked and it would not restart. Had it towed to the house where it sat most of the next day and then it I tried to start it and it fired and ran fine for about a block and it died again and would not restart. Let it sit for a moment and tried it and it fired and ran fine. Ran fine for about two weeks and died on the interstate. After it rolled to a stop i sat for a minute, cranked it and it fired. Died on me again Thanksgiving and would not restart, resulting in another tow. Putting in a new fuel pump relay did not fix it. This morning it cranked and fired. Died again on the interstate. After a couple of minutes it fired and I got it back to the house. And then I realized this: when I turned the key to the on position and the check engine light did not come on it would crank and crank and not fire. If, when I turned on the key, the check engine did lite it would fire and run fine. That's the only constant that I can find in all of this. Has anyone else faced this? I'm almost scared to drive the thing.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Check for codes.

Does your "theft" light light up during any of this?

Im thinking either a bad crank sensor or possibly a bad PATS chip in your key.

If you have a spare (factory) key try that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If the CEL isn't proving out the computer isn't powering up. Since it seems that and the failure to start happen at the same time you probably have a power issue at the PCM.

I would start by replacing the PCM's power relay. It is easy and cheap.

Codes would be good, but on that truck there may not be any. A crank sensor can cause most of your symptoms, but wouldn't make the CEL not come on. A 98 Ranger 4-cyl won't have PATS.

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the CEL isn't proving out the computer isn't powering up. Since it seems that and the failure to start happen at the same time you probably have a power issue at the PCM.

I would start by replacing the PCM's power relay. It is easy and cheap.

Codes would be good, but on that truck there may not be any. A crank sensor can cause most of your symptoms, but wouldn't make the CEL not come on. A 98 Ranger 4-cyl won't have PATS.
Relay installed. Truck running. I will keep you informed.

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Problem not solved. Died on the interstate. Same situation, It did fire and run after a crank or two. Where should I look next if the PCM power relay is not the fix?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Check your grounds to the PCM (G101 is the one from the battery to the rad support. it can cause a lot of issues.)

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The ground a G101 has been serviced. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated.

Tonytitan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's where I am. The truck won't start. I get no check engine light with the key in the on position. I changed the pcm. The truck ran for about 3 days and died again. Been dead ever since. I found a pin-out on the pcm connector for a '98 Ranger 2.5l manual. The list shows 3 pins with power and 5 grounds. According to my test light, they are all present and working. There are occasions when the key is turned on the CEL will flash on and right back off again. Am I dealing with a bad sensor somewhere? If so, which one and how do I test?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Have you tried to gently/slowly rock the ignition key while in RUN and see if you can turn the CEL on?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals