• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

1997 ranger flywheel and swing bearing.

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if the aluminum flywheel esslinger racing sells will work on my 1997 ranger with a 2.3 5 speed? and does anyone else whose truck uses a swing bearing on the drive shaft have to replace theirs every 6 months or so?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
By swing bearing you do you mean the carrier bearing that supports the middle of the drive shaft? If so, you should not be replacing it every 6 months. I recommend installing a one piece driveshaft from a 1998-2000 ranger. They came in steel and aluminum. Either will work for you application.

Welcome to the forum!

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
The carrier bearings are gay and do fail, but not every 6 months. I think you've got another problem. Check your u-joints... two bad ones on my pickup toasted my carrier bearing.

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
preciate it yall. and ive replaced all the u joints on it. and i thought about replacing it with a newer style one piece driveshaft but i wasnt sure if the crossmember that the swing (carrier) bearing bolts to would get in the way...