• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 302 V8 HOT ROD SHOW TRUCK

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
nice, but 13K? wow.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
nice, but 13K? wow.
Really not that bad...
Few months ago for giggles went to a local shop that specializes in restoration and swaps.....
Asked cost of installing a new Ford 302 performance crate motor with a new 6 speed along with suspension and brake upgrades to handle it, along with keeping ac and all underhood looking as stock/clean as possible.
Was quoted a ball park figure of around 20 grand which included the cost of engine and tranny. This was at a shop like you see on some of the shows, with long time employees who specialize in this stuff.
So, 13 grand for a drive a way dosen't seem bad if in fact it was done in a professional way and not a "shade tree" swap. If you price a new Ford crate engine, complete high output, thats 10 grand alone.
Also, consider that if true, it's a one owner, so he probably has all records going back 23 years. Only thing wrong is the funky console....that's gotta go.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just because somebody spent a lot of money on it doesn't make it worth a lot of money.

If you wanted a fuel injected 5.0 in a Ranger, why wouldn't you just use Explorer parts? Losing the OBD2 stuff just to add a FiTech system back so it kind of looks like a carb (with a jacked up air filter) seems like a silly waste of money to me.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Comes down to individual preference as to what you want.
Yeah, you could use an old engine/trans out of an Explorer and cobb it togather just like many here have done.
Or you could do it the way he did, new stuff, professionally done. Just a matter of what you want.
He probably spent twice as much as he's asking, so he's not going to get his money back. But if you were going to have a swap like that done, by a pro, then it would cost a lot more than the 13 grand he's asking.
Not saying you can't do it for a lot less, but just price out new equipment that he listed, and it's way more than the 13 grand, not including the truck itself.
Since I'm not capable of doing a swap like that, I would be left with 2 choices, spending money for a swap using used parts or one with new...I'd go for new, but that's just me.
Also, he's taking offers which means he will take less than the asking price.
No right or wrong, just personal choice.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, boo on the Fitech on a '97, also boo on the HEI ignition. I want a FiTech but I would be upgrading from a carb, not downgrading from OBDII multiport fuel injection. Halfway wonder if he tried going to carb and didn't like it so then we threw the aftermarket EFI on it...

For $13k it could/should have something fancy, they make/have made TONS of regular EFI intakes for Mustangs... some even with parts that spin. I wonder what kind of cringy things have been done to get that dash to work...

On the outside it totally looks like it has a 2.3 or MAYBE a 3.0 and is probably built/driven by a 70-80yo man that found a JC Whitney catalog at the barber shop... aka it doesn't even look that great.

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I agree.tad over done for my test.and I was thinking the same thing about an old man buying every bolt on thing they make for a ranger.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The dark looking brake fluid and the $.29 battery terminals don't say workmanship to me. The plug wires for cylinders 5 & 6 should be separated to prevent induction cross fire instead of being side by side. It's shiny, though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals