• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ford F-150 4.2L M5OD-R2 5speed concerns with transmission

SamMerkun25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150 4.2L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys
Bought a 97 f150 4.2 5speed 150k miles in july 2021, I've been driving it since and absoluetly love it, I do tree work with it, constantly loading it the hell up with logs and branches almost everyday. I drive the crap out of this old rig, the tranny shifts pretty good, when its hot it takes a little bit longer to go in gear then when its cold, I can almost feel a very small grind going into 2nd gear sometimes, if I slow down shifting into 2nd it goes in fine. So in recent months I had 2002 camry 2.4 5 speed 190k miles, I had a shop change the tranny oil and 3rd started grinding, not sure why but shop claimed it was possibly original oil, should I change my gear oil in my ford truck? I would hate to have a similar issue like in my toyota camry, I see they take mercon ATF, please give me some thoughts and advice!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Changing the fluid is always a good idea.

But the M5OD likes to leak from the shift rail plugs, if its low on fluid and been ran and ran hard that way you may wanna start planning on changing a trans.

SamMerkun25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150 4.2L
Transmission
Manual
Changing the fluid is always a good idea.

But the M5OD likes to leak from the shift rail plugs, if its low on fluid and been ran and ran hard that way you may wanna start planning on changing a trans.
I am going to be changing the fluid here soon, I would love to keep this truck going frame is solid body is ok good enough for me typical cab corner and rocker panel rust, truck is a dog!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I am going to be changing the fluid here soon, I would love to keep this truck going frame is solid body is ok good enough for me typical cab corner and rocker panel rust, truck is a dog!
The 4.2 wasnt exactly a power option lol,

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I owned the same truck as specced. It worked just fine for me except underpowered for towing my siding trailer.

SamMerkun25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150 4.2L
Transmission
Manual
My truck does burn a little bit of oil and I change the oil a lot, Since I drive the living crap out of it I'm changing it every month and a 1/2 or so new filter every time, I'll put sea foam in the crank case a few days before my oil change That usually slows the oil burning down a little bit, truck needs heater core coolant is getting flushed soon

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
My truck does burn a little bit of oil and I change the oil a lot, Since I drive the living crap out of it I'm changing it every month and a 1/2 or so new filter every time, I'll put sea foam in the crank case a few days before my oil change That usually slows the oil burning down a little bit, truck needs heater core coolant is getting flushed soon

I don't know how many miles are on it or how long you have owned it....

It's not about burning oil...

It's a patently retarded oiling system....just like many modern rigs...even the new 7.3

Study it. Ounce of prevention

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys
Bought a 97 f150 4.2 5speed 150k miles in july 2021, I've been driving it since and absoluetly love it, I do tree work with it, constantly loading it the hell up with logs and branches almost everyday. I drive the crap out of this old rig, the tranny shifts pretty good, when its hot it takes a little bit longer to go in gear then when its cold, I can almost feel a very small grind going into 2nd gear sometimes, if I slow down shifting into 2nd it goes in fine. So in recent months I had 2002 camry 2.4 5 speed 190k miles, I had a shop change the tranny oil and 3rd started grinding, not sure why but shop claimed it was possibly original oil, should I change my gear oil in my ford truck? I would hate to have a similar issue like in my toyota camry, I see they take mercon ATF, please give me some thoughts and advice!
Sounds like the syncros are going out of it.

You had syncro material floating around in your old fluid and it left when the fluid was changed.

Not a hard trans to go thru if you have the ambition, V6 4wd 5 speeds are hard to find and you will really struggle to find one with fewer miles than what you have. It took me a couple years to dig one up, really wanted to balk because it had a gooseneck ball in the back. 3/4 slider was worn (for some reason :icon_confused:) but it didn't take much to fix and has treated me well for 3 years now.

Yours should have the cheaper syncros at least, my '04 has the carbon fiber syncros, they were like $250 for a set. Mine looked ok so I decided to just try them and it worked out.

SamMerkun25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F-150 4.2L
Transmission
Manual
I did the fluid change today, was a success, had no issue put 3.8 quartz of ford mercon V, old fluid wasn't too bad it was brown but drain plug had no chunks, 2nd doesn't grind at all anymore so very happy with results thank you everyones input

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm running the same trans from a 5.0 F-150 in my Ranger and after 40k miles in the Ranger it started shredding bearings ( I have no idea how many miles were on it originally). It was always resistant to fast shifting into 2nd. I replaced it with a rebuilt last year and it's still not a speed shifter. I always wonder how that trans worked in the Thunderbird versions.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I always wonder how that trans worked in the Thunderbird versions.
It was good in the Supercoupe. It shifted smoother and held up to more abuse than the T5 in the earlier Turbocoupe. If you kept the 3.08s or swapped in 3.55s, first gear was ok... 3.73s made first gear is almost useless.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals