• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 ford explorer oil pan problem

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD whole 9 yards, and a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 2wd COIL SPRING front end. Trying to find an oil pan that'll work for it, I do not have the clearance for the aluminum one. I found the 79-93... Mustang dual sump pumps will work or even the rear sump pumps. Having a time trying to find one. But also having problems with if it'll fit. Napa is telling me it wont, of course napa will say that when the Explorers is 3 times the price. Any help. Again I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD. Stock motor. And a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 auto. Made an engine mount for t but still ain't working out for me. Its hitting my suspension. The Ranger has a COIL SPRING FRONT END. Leaving less room that I know of so far, been running into problems others haven't it seems

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The Explorer's had either an Alum or a stamped steel one. The steel one is the one that worksfor your 4x2 if engine is at right height. $69.99 at AutoZone. Sounds like you got the motor set too low. How much interferrence do you have and with what?
Dave
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Pioneer-Oil-Pan/1997-Ford-Explorer-AWD/_/N-jqaixZ93yap?itemIdentifier=724957_209453_0_
From what I have been reading now. Since this gets me one step closer, I had VIP order two pans, one is a 1996-1997 oil pan, witch now looking it up says the 1996-1997 5.0 oil pan is aluminum. And the 1998-2001 is steel, trying to find out if there is a dept difference in both of these pans. Mine was roughly 5 inches. But reading someone else thread they said he bought a steel one and dented it a little to make it fit. For the motor mounts though. Does the 4.0s set the motor higher? Because I decided not to buy the 4.0s and use the 2.5s and make my own bracket to make it fit, witch worked I believe lines right up being an inch or two too high lol. If the 4.0s set higher I'd just buy the 4.0s and see if I can use my oil pan. I be it would fit if I didn't have the bolt sticking out of my suspension, not sure what it does but there is two on both sides and the drivers side is hitting the oil pan, the passengers side is two inches over. Grinded the drivers side a little but now its hitting the nut just about, only got maybe 1/4 of an inch of that bolt left.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For use with a V-8, I's sure go with the 4.0l ones, don't know about height difference. When using a Mustang oil pan, yes, have to dent them somewhat. Explorer pans are shaped different. See below, Stang in front.
Dave

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For use with a V-8, I's sure go with the 4.0l ones, don't know about height difference. When using a Mustang oil pan, yes, have to dent them somewhat. Explorer pans are shaped different. See below, Stang in front.
Dave

yea but my question is what year and style? ive been year the dual sump from the 70s and ive hear 90s will work. i went to vip and ordered a 92 crown vic and a 97 explorer aluminum to compare and the 99 explorer stamped steel to dent to make fit from what ive heard and seen so far.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I gave you a link to one that will work if motor is placed right. Stamped steel Explorer one, might have been in several years but the link shows '97'. Stamped or alum works in any 4x4 but only the stamped one on a 4x2.
Dave

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I gave you a link to one that will work if motor is placed right. Stamped steel Explorer one, might have been in several years but the link shows '97'. Stamped or alum works in any 4x4 but only the stamped one on a 4x2.
Dave
well that being said maybe i wont have to buy it. now not sure if you were the one who said not sure about the height differnce. but do you know if the 4.0 mounts raise the motor any?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really can't help you on the mounts. Maybe a parts store will let you compare.
Dave

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your problem is the mounts, not the pan. The mustang dual sump pan works for ttb/tib suspensions, not SLA suspensions. You should have been able to use the explorer mounts and explorer plates, otherwise you need to use the 4.0 mounts, and a plate that bolts to the motor. The original ex pan, either aluminum or steel, will fit providing you have the correct motor mounts...

SVT

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Your problem is the mounts, not the pan. The mustang dual sump pan works for ttb/tib suspensions, not SLA suspensions. You should have been able to use the explorer mounts and explorer plates, otherwise you need to use the 4.0 mounts, and a plate that bolts to the motor. The original ex pan, either aluminum or steel, will fit providing you have the correct motor mounts...

SVT
thank you! thats the answers i was looking for. but to make more sense and to make sure you said buy the explorers 4.0 mounts? others were saying the rangers. but gone everywhere its the same part number between 2.5 and 4.0s on the ranger 98 to 00. the 4x4 gas a different part number but the guy said its the same thing, thinking he was too lazy to show me. was going to buy it if it was higher but i walked out with my money. but yea 4.0 in the explorer or the 5.0 in the explorer would raise the motor to the level i need it too? also if year matters? going to buy it today hopfully. its been sitting with no work done to it.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you pull up 4.0 mounts for a 4x4 ranger (or explorer) for your year, you'll be ok. Others may share the same part number, but better safe than sorry. Also, AutoZone.com and rock auto both gives you pictures of the part, for reference...

SVT

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the Explorer mounts, no difference at all if 4x2 or 4x4. both built on the same chassis. Had a new set for sale in the classified but no takers. Original Ford. Box they came in and a Google on what they fit. One problem is that the 4.0's couold be either OHV or SOHC, mounts are different. OHV takes 3L2Z-6038-BB and SOHC takes YL5Z-6038-CC. If you are making your own plates, won't make any difference.
Dave
OHV mounts uses
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc160/macripper/b0dfe8d0-7544-4b02-af0a-cb291069a0f5_zpse15735d5.jpg

OHV mounts, SOHC mounts have the bolts that go into the plate aligned, not staggered

dshwopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so i went to almost every parts store in maine. i went to the junk yard and found the ones i need. sadly they wanted 50 bucks for one. so i left tried finding one. but again. they all have the same part number. autozone had a different part number. but said the studs are off set. but mine are indented well lowered uif that makes sense. well i went to vip they ordered all three for a 4by2 98 2.5 and a 4.0 4by4. then ordered the exploxers 4by4 4.0. guy will order whatever and i dont have to pay for it till i want it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals