• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 f150 4.2l loud tick. scared...

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys long time no see. i didnt know weather to put this in the fullsize forum or here, anyways i traded my ranger for a 1997 ford f150 with a 4.2l and a 5 speed. well i got home and was lookin it over and it drips a couple drops of oil and when i start it, it has a really loud tick and it doesnt go away when u give it gas, it jus speeds up. im really scared i got screwed on this deal :sad: idk whats wrong with it? how much will a rebuild be if it comes to that?

CreepyCrawler

NCMillwright
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFordFord
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 4.0 5.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My credo
it is what it is
id check your valvetrain and all first before i rebuilt it

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
older pushrod motors like to make noise. is it an obnoxious tic? or is it just noticeable? because i know a few people with these motors in their trucks, and they all tick and clatter but all still run very strong, id put some lucas additive in there, or some high detergent synth oil in there to try and clear it up. or both :D

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Any chance you could put up a video? I know those things are prone to overheating. If you are interested, I can point you to a thread on what you need to do to use a 4.6 radiator. They are HUGE (I have one).

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i took i to my mechanic today and i guess its jus a loud noisy complainy motor with a lifter tick haha and the truck runs in the low normal range and it doesnt have an a/c or any a/c components so it never runs hot i guess it just might end up being a good truck

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i took i to my mechanic today and i guess its jus a loud noisy complainy motor with a lifter tick haha and the truck runs in the low normal range and it doesnt have an a/c or any a/c components so it never runs hot i guess it just might end up being a good truck
Congrats man i know what its like to be scared of driving your rig around because you're afraid its gonna blow up hehe, i started having those thoughts after my muffler exploded

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Congrats man i know what its like to be scared of driving your rig around because you're afraid its gonna blow up hehe, i started having those thoughts after my muffler exploded
haha how did the muffler explode?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals