• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 5R55E reverse servo/band question

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Hey guys, so i bought my 97 ranger knowing reverse was an issue (there is no reverse) so i finally got a gasket kit and tore into it tonight, the VB gaskets looks fine but i’ll still replace it with new, i found no big chunks of metal in my pan, but i did find my reverse servo to not have much resistance and pulled right out, is this normal? also i found the tip chipped badly could this cause my no reverse issue? see picture

I am very novice when it come to transmissions but am trying to trouble shoot this down, i pushed on the band in the servo hole and it feels semi springy but honestly i have no idea how much there should be, can anyone shed some light how how much resistance i should feel on the band.

Thank you for any help

also truck is a 1997 4x4 with the 4.0 and electric transfer case and again the 5r55e transmission

Attachments

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well that servo looks like it needs replaced.

The band should be a little loose with the trans not operating, because it has to be able to release the drum it goes around, but if you were able to pull it right out the adjustment was probably wrong, which can keep it from operating.

I'd get a new servo, new adjuster, new band, put it all in, and air test the circuit. But I'm terrible with automatics, so hopefully someone better with them will chime in.

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Adsm08 thanks for the reply because i’m terrible with transmissions as well, so i dug around a little more and i can move the band around a fair bit, i can’t see any pocket or place the servo pin should be pushing on and when i move the band i move around a piece in the hole with the red circle as well, i’m not sure if i should be seeing anything in that hole or able to move that around but when i move that piece in the hole it moves the whole band and visa versa.

when i push the band that piece rattled around but i feel some tension on the band still.

my plan is if that band is broken i’m just buying a remand transmission and swapping it out... buy once cry once better than continuously dumping money into it

but any help is appreciated

Attachments

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Well after i got in and looked around again i have determined the reverse band is broken, once i figured out what i was looking at i could see where the break was and that break is where the servo should be pushing on, so since thats the case i’m going to be putting in a remanufactured one, i’m leaning towards going through streetsmart transmission, anyone have any reviews for them or know anyone that has used them? online they seem to have really good reviews and a 3 year warranty.

my planis to remove it myself and take the truck and new transmission to a shop to have it installed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals