• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 4cyl tranny into 1988 - Whats the D connector for?

grimdalolz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The title says it. My original tranny took a dump and so I swapped the transmission and replaced the slave cyl and clutch assembly. The truck no longer wants to start and just clicks once when the key is turned. I am gonna try swapping the starter, as the battery just got recharged last night and I am going to clean the clamps and terminals. My thought is that the D connector is some sort of safety switch that's preventing it from turning on. Also, the transmission just fit on however there was no connector for the D connector like the other tranny, just a wiring harness with a d connector and a bunch of other ones. Are they even compatible? I'll try to post some pictures later today.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes it will work for Manual trans, both should be M5OD-R1 models

There is a Reverse light connector and a VSS(speed) connector on drivers side of 2WD manual trans, both are 2 wire connectors
Neither would prevent starter from working
Manuals use a Clutch Pedal switch so engine can't be started "in gear"

I would check connections at Starter Relay on inner fender, sometimes called starter solenoid
When key is turned to START the smaller red/blue wire on this relay gets 12volts, that activates this relay and it connects Battery Positive to Starter motor via the 2 big cables

The "click" you hear is probably the relay working, so could be the battery cable is loose or starter cable
Also don't forget the big battery negative cable, its often connected to starter motor bolt

Starter motor needs 60+ AMPs which is why the cables are so big
And with DC voltage BOTH positive and negative cables need to be able to pass that 60 amps or no starter motor

The wiring harness for a 1997 could also have the rear O2 sensor connector, but it should be round and 4 wires

Found this picture: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n96457/IMG_4130.jpg

Red connector is for reverse light
On the tail shaft housing is the speedometer cable/VSS hookup

1988 may or may not have used a VSS, it was used for cruise control and computer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals