• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1997 2.3 excessive idle speed continues after IAC replaced

Sidecar Doug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 5 speed Ranger has been showing intermittent check engine signals - they go away, then return, sometimes after a couple hundred miles, sometimes after just a few miles. I need to pass a smog test to re-regiister, and the light would not go away- the code on my scanner was for excessive idle speed. I checked the connection to the IAC, and they seemed OK, so I replaced the idle air control solenoid with one from NAPA. I then erased the codes on my scanner and started the engine, letting it idle in the driveway for about 15 minutes ( 37 degrees F outside temp. ) I saw that there was a code so looked it up and it was for excessive idle speed. Any thoughts on where to look next for a solution ?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
When you get it fully warmed up (upper radiator hose hot) and idling in the driveway, unplug the connector on the idle air control solenoid. What does the idle do? It should slow and almost stall out. If it just keeps idling high, you have air coming in from somewhere. Look for any hoses missing, or any hoses that may be cracked, squeeze any vacuum lines and look for any that might be split.

Sidecar Doug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you get it fully warmed up (upper radiator hose hot) and idling in the driveway, unplug the connector on the idle air control solenoid. What does the idle do? It should slow and almost stall out. If it just keeps idling high, you have air coming in from somewhere. Look for any hoses missing, or any hoses that may be cracked, squeeze any vacuum lines and look for any that might be split.
Thanks - will do tomorrow. I took it for a drive, after clering the code. In about 5 miles check engine light came back on- code 1506. I was paying close attention to the tach, and coming to a stop it would speed up to about 2,000 rpm, then evenly drop back to about 1400.. I may have to use the small bottle of propane at low pressure feeding thru a small diameter hose to check for vacuum leaks.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would check for vacuum leaks or if the throttle stop screw has been messed with, 1400rpm is high for idle, should be like 600... when I had the upper intake off my '97 a while ago to do the spark plugs I forgot the power brake hose I think and it was MAD, didn't run for anything, you might just have a small vacuum hose off somewhere.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My last smog test was with an 87 Ranger 6 cyl, and it didn't pass. I asked a shop what it cost to have it tested and he said $250.00.
I looked over my smog devices and there were 5, all costing around $50.00 each.
I gave it my best guess and bought the 1st one, installed it, and headed back to emissions.
Passed it 1st time :D

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
OBD II is tougher than that... but finding the reason for a high idle shouldn't be too hard, either a broken vacuum hose or a bad intake gasket or someone adjusted the throttle stop screw up for some reason... the only other dumb thing that can change the idle is the VSS on the transmission where the speedo gear is I think, that guy can cause the IAC to hold high if I remember right, but you wouldn't be getting that code because that means the computer is trying to lower it...

Sidecar Doug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the tips ! I backed the idle screw off slowly about 2 turns after the truck was warmed up, listening to the rpm level slowly dropping. Checke the tach, backed it off a tad more until it was reading about 850-950 rpm, and erased the codes on my scanner - then drove into town and checked for whether everything was OK ( complete ). All is well !! Passed smog, updated registration.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Someone is always messing with that pesky idle stop screw. You know they have all been messed by now in the engine's life.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals